Pic via stock photo
I mentioned recently that I have been pondering spirituality lately. I was having a little trouble with the idea that people need labels, although I do certainly understand why. I mean, it's only natural to put a label on something in order to start to understand it better. For some people, putting a label on something is a vehicle for bias and prejudice. On a recent board, my friend Rita said something I found very insightful:
"There is no need to think of ourselves as the sum of different parts (no ribald snickering,
please), but rather as an earth-centered being capable of setting aside part of ourselves for
the Divine Sacred (however we envision Her, Him, It, or Them) at all times. Wherever we are,
whatever we are doing, we decide how much of ourselves to keep on task, and how much to give
over to earth-consciousness, to the Divine. Let's look, here and in other situation, for a
both/and view rather than an either/or perspective. Whether I am tilling the soil or selling
books, I am aware of the turning leaves, the spirits of place, and the Sacred Divine in each
person I see and talk with."
Could it really be as simple as that? Why not?

No comments:
Post a Comment