Nature Night by Julia Guther
The boys went to the playground today to play. It was a nice change of pace for everyone. After a long season of uncertain weather, along with being stuck in this same yard and house day after day, a new set of fun things to climb on and slide down certainly perked up the boys' spirits today!
Outside is this mixture of winter and spring that has some people unnerved. It's a bit too early to be seeing grass already here in Southern Maine....
I also ventured outside for about 10 minutes, although it was incredibly cold and windy when I went out. I wanted to get 15 mins of sun on my retinas, but 10 mins was about all I could do. I still felt proud that I ventured outside to connect with nature, even if it's not the most glorious weather out there today!
I made a big pot of chicken soup today. As they say, it's good for the soul. I decided to post the recipe I used today. I say 'today', because each time I make soup it is different. I throw in whatever is available, which helps me use up veggies in the fridge as well as take advantage of sales or seasonal produce.
Chicken Soup
1.5 pounds boneless/skinless chicken thighs (on sale) cut into bite-sized chunks
About half a small bag of baby carrots
3 large stalks of celery (including some of the greens) cut into small pieces
1 large onion (yellow) diced
3/4 can of diced tomatoes w/ jalepenos (I had only needed a small amt. the other day and had 3/4 of the can left over and needed to use it up)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Quinoa
large handful of chopped kale
water
chicken bouillon cubes
1 to 2 TBSP garlic oil (or olive oil + a few chopped garlic cloves)
1. Pour oil/garlic into large pot, heat on medium heat, add onion and celery and saute until soft
2. Add baby carrots and add can of diced tomatoes - juice and all....allow to simmer/bubble
3. Add about a cup of water, continue to simmer/boil about 5 mins
4. Add chicken along with another cup of water, bring to boil again
5. Every 5 mins, or as the water comes to a boil again, add another cup of water until you have the consistency you like. I always add an extra cup beyond that just to be sure, because carrots will soak up some of that water as they cook.
6. Simmer for about 45 mins/1h0 until carrots are fork soft. I put the lid on the pot and leave it just a bit off so that steam can escape while it is simmering. Once carrots are soft, I check the water level and realize I need another 2-3 cups of water. I throw in the quinoa at this point. I also now add some chicken bollion. I find I need to add less than the directions recommend because the flavors are already quite wonderful! I might also add a shake or 2 of garlic salt and several shakes of black pepper (which I LOVE).
7. 15 minutes before you plan to serve the soup, turn the heat down to low and add the kale.
Serve with crusty bread (for dunking in the soup, of course!).




No comments:
Post a Comment