Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Recycling Project: Mini Blinds as Plant Markers


Doesn't everyone drink their water out of fancy glasses ? No?! Well, you should! Every day can feel like a special day when you have great glasses to drink from!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have some old mini-blinds that you're thinking of throwing away? Perhaps someone you know is going to throw some out? Well, don't! LOL!

If you're a gardener, like me, you'll appreciate the FREE plant markers you can make with these blinds!

Time: About 30 minutes
Materials: old mini blind, scissors, container to store plant markers in, permanent marker (optional)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First, determine a length you like and cut a 'test piece' that you'll then use as your measurement for all of the other pieces. I happened to also have a pink plastic storage basket (see photo above) that I was just about to throw out (it is stained on the inside, and I'm trying to slowly work on moving away from having so much plastic in the house). I decided to use the plastic basket as my guide, cutting the first piece to fit inside the basket comfortably.
Second, start cutting your strips. Gather a small handful of blinds in your hand and lay the 'test piece' next to you. Grab your scissors and start cutting through the layers. You'll need to cut through the twine that holds the blinds together every so often, but realize that once you get into the project, much of the twine will just easily pull off without being cut.
Then, toss your handful into your basket and repeat the process until you have used up the entire blind. From time to time you may end up needing to trim a handful of your strips...just discard those pieces in the trash along with the small twine scraps.

You can also recycle the LONG twine...such as the long twine that you pull on to open and close the blind. That twine could be reused in the garden to tie tomatoes to their stakes or other garden uses. Just discard those tiny, thin scraps of twine that hold each blind to the next.

Keep the markers in your potting shed or wherever you keep your gardening supplies. As you need a plant marker, grab one and a permanent marker. Label the variety of plant you are planting with a brief way to differentiate it from other varieties. Stick the markers in the ground or in pots (whatever you're doing at the time) to help you identify what variety is there.

Below I have labeled two markers, one for the dwarf blue curling kale and one for yellow onions - both seeds I started indoors this morning.  Please see my post on Peace In A Pod Organic Garden blog for details!



p.s. I'm still working on getting plastic items out of my house slowly. This plastic basket will be out in the potting shed, which means its make-up actually will be a benefit to allow it to last longer outside in a damp, cold potting shed.  I guess I'll keep working on getting those items out of our home...but for me, it seems a bit hard to get rid of ALL plastics. At least I'm trying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment