Friday, February 17, 2012

Book Review: Inheritance

(Inheritance Cycle Book 4)

Because we read so much, I thought it would be a fun addition to the blog to include some book reviews. So, without further ado, I'll jump right in...

I've now read the entire Inheritance Cycle. This book is the 4th and last book in this series.

Many of you may know that it began as a fantasy story about a young man named Eragon, who lives in a magical world called Alagaësia. It is a world of sword play, dragons and magic. As with many fantasy books of this genre, it is a story of a battle of good against evil. Eragon, the protagonist, finds a dragon egg while out hunting with his bow and arrow one day in a forbidden part of the woods. It eventually hatches for him, and the dragon Saphira bonds to him and allows him to ride her.

Unbeknownst to Eragon, the evil Galbatorix has been searching for the dragon egg, hoping to destroy it. By trying to destroy the egg, Galbatorix figured the mystical group called the Dragon Riders would never rise up again and challenge his rule of the land. Eragon meets Arya, an elf who then becomes intertwined with Eragon's cause to save the life of his dragon as well as to save all of Alagaësia from the evil clutches of Galbatorix.

Over the books, many interesting characters are introduced and developed, who all play their parts in the story. Ultimately, this last book is the climatic conclusion to the battle between good and evil.

I won't give out spoilers, but I will say that the conclusion does manage to tie up several loose ends. It was not as satisfying an ending as I had hoped for, but I have grown to accept that authors sometimes take perverse pleasure in ending a long series in a way that causes the audience to talk about the book more. Mission accomplished.

Overall Score: 4 out of 5 stars

I enjoyed the entire series as a whole, and would recommend the story to a reading audience of about age 10+ due to scenes of battle, a birthing scene and some dark imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment