I've always wanted a fire pit. We would have dug one and made a nice stone surround, but we rent our home, so we couldn't do that. We decided to forget about the expense and picked up an end-of-the-season sale find at Lowes. Then my hubby went scavaging for wood around our property with our son (who had a BLAST helping dad find pieces of wood). We had SUCH a busy day today, but it was really a lot of fun. When we got back from Borders (which has got to be my alltime favorite store), hubby mowed the lawn while I put together a stew for dinner. We played with the kids and put together the fire pit and then I ran some laundry and did some picking up of the house. When the sun started to ease down the sky, we fired up the firepit (again, our son had quite a good time "helping" with this part, too).
After an hour or so, we put our son into bed and sat by the fire, a cup of stew in one hand and a beer in the drink pockets of our new foldable lawn chairs. We sat back and listened to stories our oldest had to tell about the weekend with her best friend on an island (I was jealous! I wanted to just leave everyone behind and hang out on the island, too! LOL!). We listened to the crackling wood while eating stew, drinking beer, chatting with my daughter, and watching the stars come out one by one. Our 4-month old sat wide-eyes in her baby seat, watching the fire beside us. Finally, it was getting cold, the fire was dying down, and it was time to come inside.
The moon has the tiniest sliver missing from her, now that the full moon has passed from last night. We all took the time to really enjoy this month's full moon. I bathed in its glow last night and asked for blessings, but the truth is, we are already so very blessed. These types of "simple" evenings and moments with family are so very special and sacred.
Tomorrow is another day, and I'm focusing on the letter B in preschool with my son and the other 2 boys who come to my house for preschool. We'll look at different things that begin with the letter B and make a bug. Life is goooood!
Fire pits are so much fun. One of hte things we always enjoyed was building bonfires for the Sabbats. Fire is warm and cozy. Perhaps I love it because I am a fire sign. All I know is, warmth makes me happy and contented.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear you enjoyed the Esbat and time with your family. Blessed Be!
I'm a water baby, but even I LOVE a good bonfire! I would love to invest in one of those, but I think the closest we could go is one of those chiminea's (due to the fire risk here at this time of year) which is not quite the same. Sounds like a wonderful evening :)
ReplyDelete