Monday, September 21, 2009

Mom Time


So this weekend I went to a meeting of women we're calling the Red Temple.  A friend of mine who I've known for several years decided to try to get a group of women together to support one another, talk, have fun and also focus on recognizing the goddess within ourselves. 
                                                         
I maintain that there is something incredibly healing and nurturing about being around other women.  We often forget to look beyond the typical roles we play (Mother, Daughter, Wife, Partner, etc) and remember that we are also WOMEN.  That amazing energy is something we often push aside so that we can give our energy toward the other roles we feel responsible for.   When we gather with other women and HONOR that part of ourselves that is "woman", it feels so amazing and has the power to reenergize us.
                                                      
I remember this analogy that I've always appreciated. It says that we have "giant love cups".  We have a finite amount of love within our cups, and the people in our lives also have love cups.  We pour a little bit of our love into everyone's cup each day.  When our love cups are empty, we no longer have anything left to give to others (and certainly nothing left for ourselves).  We refill our love cups by taking time to rest, taking care of ourselves, and loving ourselves (as well as accepting love from others).  We cannot forget how important it is to save a little bit for ourselves!
                                                  
I am really excited about the idea of sharing thoughts with other women and making connections with them.  Women supporting other women is one way that we can all fill our love cups back up again. 

As we go through our week this week, doing all the things we do every day (clean house, take care of family, pay bills, grocery shop, etc) I hope we all take a little time this week just for ourselves.  Take a nice hot bath, find some quiet time to read a book, go for a walk alone, etc.  Then, reach out to a woman you know.  Maybe call your best friend and just tell her you love her.  Call women you don't talk to often. Reconnect.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up in a house full of girls I can totally agree with you on this.
    Having now, a house full of "men" it is so different for me.
    My daughter and mum do our own thing together...it's so true, women do need and feel the benefit of other women.
    Thank you for posting this...I sometimes think that the media shows females together in a negative, all too bitchy light...real women, caring about other women, that's what we all do best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you on this. It is so critical that we spend time with other women. Even more critical we "allow" ourselves "me" time. If we can find time to do for others, we have to have time for us.

    ReplyDelete