This is a bit off-topic (in a way) to my usual blog subject matter, so please bear with me....
So lately, as I have reconnected with some friends who I haven't seen in some time, the subject of food keeps coming up. These particular friends lean toward the vegetarian/vegan/raw&living foods side of things.
I have been trying to be more aware
and present in regards to food for the last couple of years.
It has been a real journey for me, because I have issues surrounding food. I use food as my comfort, and have been trying to move away from that. I also want my family to eat more healthily and in a more sustainable way, so that affects more of my food choices as well.
It is also more frugal, so now that I've "quit my day job" to return home with my kids, saving money for our family is what I consider to be one of my new Top Jobs around the house now.
I won't lie: I'm not always very successful in regards to being present when it comes to my eating. I'm doing better, though, and I try to celebrate my victories.
It takes real baby steps for me to change something that has been such a huge part of me for the last 12 years (which is when I became overweight).
I, personally, do not feel ready to make a transition into giving up all meat and dairy at this point in my life. I have, however, made great strides toward having more less-meat and meat-free meals each week. I also drink much less milk, because I notice I get very phlemy (especially in the winter) with too much milk in my diet.
I also have made a conscious effort to include more fresh fruits and veggies into our meals.
This has been the easiest change for me to make, and so I am continuing to just do the best I can with what I am able to at the moment, if that makes sense.
Some of my friends have asked me what these changes look like for me, so I'll post a real quick summary of an IDEAL day. I would start my ideal day with some cooked oats mixed with cinnamon and raw stevia and sprinkle some nuts & raisins (or other crunchy granola-like foods) over the top, or some toast with peanutbutter on it. Lunch would be a handful of grapes and a sandwitch (the misspelling is intentional), some cheese and maybe some crackers as well. Dinner would be a nice homemade soup or stew and possibly a nice salad (although that is something I need to work on: including more salad).
I feed the kids lots of fruit for snacks as well and cheeses and peanutbutter sandwitches along with the usual kid-friendly lunches. I love making homemade mac & cheese, pot roasts, baked fish fillets, etc. with lots of veggies accompanying them. One of my big goals is to grow more of my own veggies so my meals are more organic, flavorful and less expensive.
For lots of people, this sort of menu would be considered a decent move away from the typical American diet of junk food, fast food restaurants, processed meals, etc. I like to think we've come a long way as a family in regards to avoiding the above evils. We certainly eat more meals at home and fewer and fewer processed meals in our diet.
I definately see myself moving toward more organic foods, seeds and nuts, fresh and raw veggies and eating INTENTIONALLY and cooking with love. I am not sure if an all-raw or even an all vegetarian diet is in my future, but I certainly could see it being a compromise of a 50-50 split. I don't want to get so hung up on food that it becomes a chore for me (otherwise, where's the JOY?).
I think the gradual progression I've made toward including more vegetarian, vegan and raw/living foods has been slow enough that it feels very natural, organic, and habit-forming. I add these elements into my diet because they taste good, are good for me, and because I've taken my time introducing them into my life.
My eating path is my own, but I just wanted to share with people how I felt about it since so many people in a certain circle in my life lean toward vege/raw eating. I am getting new recipes and ideas from them, which I am sure will become a part of our diets...but I know that for myself, I have to be gentle with myself and not try to shock my body (otherwise, the new habits won't stick for me).
I am a baby-step kind of girl. A woman I know named Lisa Marie says that eating should be a good-better-best proposition. In otherwords, in any food situation, you often need to choose between good, better, or best for you nutritionally. Each time I shop for food, I am going to employ that theory and see how it helps me put healthier things into my basket. Bon Apetit!

What you have described is a very healthy approach to food with our having to get a whole new education on food.
ReplyDeleteWhen we had a change in financial circumstances I took the idea of food production and preservation on as my full time employment. If I were to get paid for he amount of time I put into this endeavor I would not be financially compensated enough;) However, the amount of money we save on groceries is considerable. And I KNOW we are eating really good food as well.
I'm the same way. It's difficult to change completely all at once, so taking things step-by-step is easier and healthier.
ReplyDeleteI try to eat very little meat, if any, although the son and hubby both adore meat. LOL
We just do our best to eat healthy with plenty of fruits and veggies, and not too much junk. It isn't always easy, but it is worth the effort!