Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Freezing corn and the counting game


I love this time of year when the corn is very reasonably priced and tastes so good!  I got 10 ears (for now) to preserve and have decided to eat some and freeze the rest.  After blanching a few ears, I put them into an ice bath before cutting off the kernels to then be frozen. I rinsed out a used margarine container (a fairly big one) and will stick the kernels into a freezer bag and then into the margarine container to protect against freezer burn in the freezer. 

Before freezing, I held aside 12 kernels (which is as high as my son can count right now) and let him count them (but of course had to give him a few more as he popped some into his mouth).  Then I gave him a couple different colors of construction paper and asked him to put kernels on different colors (ie. "Now put a kernel on the BLUE paper").  He's doing better with his colors and really enjoyed this game.  What a fun way to count and break up the job of preserving my corn!

5 comments:

  1. It is also a great way to have your children involved in the preparation of food. Always a good lesson1

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever and all-natural idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corn manipulatives and food prep! A good combination. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember teaching my boys fractions in the kitchen. Homemade pizza worked really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your honest and heart felt comment on my *Do It Anyway* post. I do not like posting about things of that nature either but sometimes, i just have to. I'm not always smiling and happy and to be walking the path I do, it asks for total honesty and if I am to be honest with others, the first person I need to be honest with is myself :)

    I think others sometimes like to know they are not alone, I know I do! It shows me that my thoughts sometimes aren't wacked out or crazy LOL!!

    After reading what you wrote, I feel you are just fine and exactly where you should be :)

    ReplyDelete