Friday, September 11, 2009

Leaves Dance

It never seems to fail: each September I forget just how early the leaves begin to change.  This year is no exception. Yesterday the kids and I walked around our yard gathering fallen leaves. We had more than enough to do several leaf collages, one for each child.  I squirted glue on the back of each leaf and helped the kids place their leaf in the desired spot on their piece of colored paper.  We pointed out the colors of green, orange, yellow, red and brown as we glued each piece into place.  It was a fun project.  Today I took some of the left over corn husks I saved from the corn I shucked and then blanched and froze and helped the kids make corn husk "dolls".  I called them "corn husk men" for the sake of their parents (who want their sons to be very "macho"). 
This weekend my husband has the entire weekend off.  I'm not quite sure yet what we'll do tomorrow, but Sunday is a big party at a friend's house. She has these great bbq/band parties where there are kids activities, a cookout, bands play, people just basically having fun.  I am SO looking forward to this, as I have not connected with many of these people "in real life" in about 2 years.  We've been in touch on Facebook lately, but that is very recent.  For about 2 years, since the birth of my son, and dealing with Immigration for my husband (who is from Australia), things have been so crazy that we really had to focus on family stuff for a while.  I always bemoan how few friends I have to do things with, and then realize that I have not really put myself out there.  Well, that is all going to change! 
I don't know exactly how my husband is going to fare with the whole crowd/loud music/lots of activity thing.  I am hoping he'll open up a bit and meet some people.  This is a good chance for us to make some connections, and I really, really, really hope we can do that!
I've really been in a "funk" for a couple of days. I don't like to blog in such a way that airs "dirty laundry", but the issue of friendships has become a source of contention in our house.  That is another good reason for us to try to make the most of making friends that we can both appreciate and do stuff with as a couple.  We really need to do that in a big way.  We cannot keep living separate lives as far as friendships go.  It's ok to have some friends your spouse doesn't have, don't get me wrong, but I think it's even better when you have at least SOME friends you do stuff TOGETHER with.  I'll let you all know how that goes.
Meanwhile, I hope we get outside tomorrow.  I am aching for some fresh air...also, I hear there's a huge sale on canning jars, and I want to go check them out!

5 comments:

  1. The leaves are changing here too. Fall always makes me homesick for Massachusetts. There is no place better to live in Autumn than New England!

    Have a lovely weekend, and hopefully you will make some new, mutual friends. Hubby and I have very rarely had mutual friends. I'm more social than he is, but we have managed to find some once in a while (but we always have to leave them).

    I'm still working on finding friends here. I finally met a bunch of Pagans last week. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your friendmaking expedition! My hubby & I are both homebodies and he could happily be that way all the time, whereas I need a girlfriend or two to chat with sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun Sunday and enjoy making some new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I noticed that you like Damh the Bard's music. Do you listen to Druidcast the podcast he hosts? It's a great one. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello witchy mom...
    I have three children who have been and are, home schooled and we too are all pagan.
    It's so lovely to find others with a like-mind here in the Land of Blog!
    The photo' of your little one on the grass was so lovely...it reminded me of my sprogs as babies...just loving the grass...Ah...

    ReplyDelete