Saturday, September 19, 2009

Craft Project - Origami Halloween Bats & Bat Cupcakes



The above link shows you how to make these adorable origami bats. I suspect you could make them with black construction paper if you didn't have black origami paper (although it will be thicker and probably a little more challenging to fold).  Another idea would be to use a pencil to shade the paper grey for a grey bat.

This would be a great project to help kids work on their dexterity and fine motor skills.  They'd make adorable place holders at the table for a party or hang on a piece of thread and hang up around the house.  You could also use this project to work on fractions, %, whatever math you'd like! ("Fold the paper in HALF. So how much of the paper is folded using %?  How many triangles can we find?  Is the bat symmetrical or asymmetrical? etc.)

Then you could read a few books on bats or research bats online.  Your child can attach/include an origami bat to a lapbook on bats, too (I just LOVE lapbooks!).  I'll definately have to blog about lapbooking sometime, but do a search on it online and you'll find tons of resources!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Staying with the teme of bats, here's a cute recipe for bat cupcakes I found online, too!


Ingredients:


1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix

1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting

24 fudge-striped cookies

24 milk chocolate kisses

Red decorating icing

Directions:

Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely.


Set aside 2 tablespoons chocolate frosting. Frost cupcakes with remaining frosting. For bat wings, cut cookies in half and add scalloped edges if desired. Insert two cookie halves into each cupcake. Gently press chocolate kisses into frosting for heads. Pipe ears with reserved frosting; add eyes with decorating icing. Yield: 2 dozen.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm the cupcakes look yummy! My daughter had a big origami project last year which led to us buying way more paper than we needed. Thanks to our local cable company and On Demand lessons in origami I've made bats, dogs, dinosaurs and tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both so much fun...
    My younger children love bats AND cake so they will love these!
    Thanks for posting.

    Oh yes, I forgot to ask...have you clicked?
    I don't know if you saw the post about it.
    (It's on my other blog.)
    My kids love to do it and it gets them interested in what's going on in the world.
    If you have a few minutes it's well worth doing.

    ReplyDelete