Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Well, we survived the holidays. Now for the return of the sun!

Father Time and Baby New Year!

Return of the sun?! Those who only look at the coming of the REST of the winter scoff at the idea. Those of us who follow the cycles of the sun, moon (and stars) and earth take heart in the fact that the days are, in fact, getting longer. 

Our holiday season ended up being fairly busy.  We attended our traditional sleigh ride around town. We visited the mall to look at the decorations and see Odin Santa.  We made a snowman and had a snowball fight.  Our holiday gifts were a mixture of new store-bought, consignment store gifts (2nd hand), homemade gifts and regifting.  My kids were just as happy with the 2nd hand wooden tamborine-and-xylophone set as they were with the new store-bought toys they got. That really warmed my heart.  We read lots of holiday books and watched some holiday videos, and of course we listened to holiday music on the radio.

That reminds me of a question I wanted to post here: How do you feel about holiday music when your beliefs might be different from what is being sung about?  I think people have varying answers to that question. I know there are some people who are adamant that their holiday music represent their beliefs to the letter.  That means that some of my Christian friends do not enjoy listening to more earth-themed songs. Some of my earth-based-beliefs friends are also adamant that their music not contain even a whisper of a reference to Jesus.  I honor and respect both camps.

For me, I think it is more important to listen to songs that feel very uplifting and hopeful. That's not to say I live in such a Polyanna world that I do not acknowledge that something horrible may have happened to a very good man 2,000 years ago. It means that if I listen to traditional Christmas songs, I prefer ones that speak to peace on earth and goodwill toward man(kind). Similarly, when I listen to more earth-based Winter Solstice songs, I love the ones that speak to the hope of the return of the sun, the excitement of the wild hunt, the admonition to spread peace and love wherever you go, etc.

There is enough negativity out there in the world. I am not so concerned whether or not a song speaks to a religion that I may not follow. I appreciate the sentiment behind the song. There was a lot of discussion online this year about whether or not anyone should be offended by either a greeting of "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" (or any other seasonal greeting, for that matter).

If we're to live together in this world in peace, we all need to become a bit more tolerant of others.  Is the person wishing me a Merry Christmas trying to insist that I follow Jesus, and that if I DON'T, then I should have a horrible holiday season?  I really doubt it.  They're wishing me well during this season, and that's what I like to take to heart.  Sometimes splitting hairs over one's beliefs is really very unnecessary.  Even potentially-misguided folks who insist that "Jesus is the reason for the season" do not phase me all that much. To *THEM*, that is what is important about the season. Who am I to try to get them to appreciate the solar phase we're in?

I hope - WHATEVER your beliefs - that you all had a very enjoyable holiday season. I hope it was an opportunity to spend time with family and friends, and that you found chances to be kind to others. I hope you were able to spread a little peace and joy around you, and that the special-ness of this time of year touched you in some special way.

Photo: yahoo! images

No comments:

Post a Comment