Oh no! It's a witch! RUN!!!!!
My Own No Poo Experiment:
So the other day I heard about going "No Poo". Basically, by giving up the harmful chemicals in traditional shampoo, not only is it gentler on the earth but it also helps to balance out the natural oil cycle of your scalp.
So, I began my own experiment. Now, I want to start out by saying that I already shampoo my hair less frequently than some. If I can get away without washing my hair all weekend, I will gladly do so. I typically wash my hair every 2 or 3 days (and of course, I wash it more often if I need to attend something 'important').
I've never had an issue with shampoos drying out my hair (in fact, I have the opposite problem because my hair tends to be greasy).
Instructions and support for this here (instructions) and here (more instructions and forum).
Here's what I did:
* I added about 1 tbsp baking soda to a cup of warm water. there was probably about 10oz of water in the cup, give or take. I poured that carefully onto my hair, focusing on the scalp and not worrying about saturating the rest of the hair (I did this over the tub).
* I scrubbed my scalp all over for a good 2 minutes. When I felt I had scrubbed it really well, I rinsed it under the tap of the tub for a minute, making sure it was very well rinsed out.
* Then I filled the cup back up with 10 oz of water again and added a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. I poured that carefully over my hair and also scrubbed it in. This time I also tried to ensure that the ends also got some of that vinegar-water on them. A trick I discovered was to wring out a section of hair and capture that liquid in my hands. Then I'd just pour that liquid on the area that didn't get as wet.
* I then rinsed that mixture out incredibly well. If I was planning to take a shower, I would have just done this all in the shower, but I was just anxious to try it out admittedly!
The Results:
Well, I'm on day 3. You can see my hair in the pic above. It is just starting to show some signs of greasiness, which is about on par for day 3. I have found my hair to be incredibly soft...and indeed this whole thing did a very good job at cleaning my hair.
Some folks complain that their hair either turns to straw or becomes too greasy. I'll post some updates as time goes along to let you know how it's been working for me. I'll wash it this afternoon because we are meeting someone tonight, but if that weren't the case I think I could easily go at least another day without washing it!
Some people on the forum do things differently, so take some time to read what everyone has been doing.
I love that: this is better for the environment, better for my scalp/hair, and better for my pocketbook! I imagine I will save boat-loads of money by not buying shampoo and by washing less frequently.

No comments:
Post a Comment