Jan 2012 Swingset and Yard
Jan 2012 Toys in Snow
Jan 2012 More Toys in Snow
A family I used to give childcare to came to visit us today. The kids were VERY excited to see their friends (it's been about 6 weeks since we last saw them). This family....how to put this?....is very 'hands off' when it comes to providing learning and growth opportunities for their children. I have heard the phrase "That's what the schools are for" uttered before, if that gives you a general sense of their attitude.
Even knowing that about them (and of course I try SO hard to practice non-judgement about how other people raise their own children), I was still taken aback by what happened when I suggested that all of the kids get into snowsuits to play outside (I had mentioned on the phone yesterday that they should bring snowsuits for their visit today).
Their mom said to me "They've been *SO* excited about playing outside today, since this will be their first time outside all season."
Excuse me, did I hear you correctly, I thought? She must have registered my surprise, because she back-peddled and said "Well, I've TRIED and thought about it, but our yard is set up strangely, and then of course the boys were sick for 2 weeks." Now, I knew from my dealings with this family that they did not take the kids outside very often on their own. They relied upon me to do that each day, and they figured that they then did not need to do so on the weekends since the kids played outside all week at my house. I guess one would have thought that since the Mom is not working now (and therefore home with the 2 boys all day) that she would put an effort into playing with the boys. She also made excuses for why she hasn't done any preschool with them.
I just bit my tongue. The oldest is slated to start kindergarten in the fall and unfortunately will not have all of the skills he needs to begin school. He's certainly got the ability to learn, but it seems he's actually regressed from where he was when he left my care back in May (and this is according to his mom and not just my own observations of him today). These kids do not play with other kids (she told me this herself) and only sit around and watch tv/videos and play with each other inside each day. One child is overweight and the other has certainly 'rounded out' more since I last saw him.
My heart aches to think of children not getting fresh air for such a long period of time!
The book Last Child In The Woods is a really important read. It speaks about the benefits of children being outside, and how our society no longer places value on it. I understand that some areas are more dangerous than others, but SUPERVISED outside time doesn't need to be dangerous. I admit I do not get outside as much as I could/should, but I certainly make sure the kids get outside time several times a week.
It seems to me that as a society, we continue to divorce ourselves from the natural world. Between our food choices, unnecessary medications, over-use of chemicals and pesticides, and lack of physical activity, we move further and further away from physical, mental, and spiritual health. Please consider getting your kids outside this week - and it wouldn't hurt YOU to get outside as well!
p.s. I'll be joining you! One of my goals for 2012 is to get at least 15 mins outside every day (excepting poor weather).



I love this book and have been a supporter of No Child Left Inside. You've been tagged! http://www.thedomesticpagan.net/2012/01/ive-been-tagged.html
ReplyDelete