Friday, January 6, 2012

Preschool: Letter K

Letter K: Kangaroo - from Dana at Play and Learn with Dana

We're currently on the letter K in our home preschool, and I thought this project above from Play and Learn with Dana seemed particularly cute. I decided to try to replicate the craft, tweaking it to best suit our needs. You see, we are also working on shapes, and so I wanted the parts of the kangaroos to look as similar to shapes we're studying as possible.  Here's what I came up with for a template:


Of course, you can use your own pieces, googley eyes, etc.  This is just a template in case you don't have any of those items on hand.

Shapes in the template kids can identify:  circle, oval, triangle and rectangle

Feel free to enlarge this and/or tweak it however you like if you choose to try to make one of these with your kids as well! I left out the shape under the little joey's head (see Dana's pic above), because I figured that might be a cute place to put an envelope or perhaps a small picture your children create (or some other item of your choosing). I like the idea of a 'kangaroo post', and so I think it would be cute to create a faux envelope, showing the kids the parts of a typical envelope. Feel free to use my idea below:


Maybe the kids could try to make the envelope out to their grandparents or a friend! Or, you can provide fake addresses for them to try to write in the correct spots, such as:

To: 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney Australia (shamelessly stolen from the Disney movie Finding Nemo)
From: 123 Sesame Street, New York NY USA

Have fun!

p.s. Because it is winter here in the northern hemisphere, you could have a lesson on what the weather is like in Australia (where kangaroos are found). It's their summer, and so it's likely incredibly HOT in most parts of Australia.  This could turn into a mini-unit on Australia, seasons, kangaroos, envelopes, and the letter k all in one!


No comments:

Post a Comment