Julnisse
It's hard to be of an eclectic belief system sometimes. How do you create a community around you when you don't really fit in with any particular group 100%? You focus on the fun, celebration, and spirit of the season.
Tonight, we are planning to go to a live nativity presentation put on by a local church. We reasoned with ourselves that perhaps our children could use the 'familiarity' with biblical stories, because throughout their lives they will hear those stories referenced in common, cultural activities. We also thought that it might be nice to be around others to celebrate the season.
I guess there's this feeling inside of me that wants to be part of a community. I have very little family, and few friends. Frankly, it's tough when the events are not as toddler-friendly as we'd like...here's hoping this event will be. Ritual and ceremony bring a community together to honor that side of ourselves that wants goodness to reign.
One of these days, when we have our own place, we plan to have our own events and hope that people come. I can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment