Saturday, November 3, 2012

Body Image vs. Health

Candied Apples at Halloween

I got a lovely response from my last post, expressing concern about my doing the Master Cleanse. The concern was about my body image, and how doing the cleanse may not be healthy for me. I'd like to reprint part of my response here:

I am not doing the cleanse for weight loss completely, but to release toxins from my body as a jump start to ultimately a better weight and better health. I have not been eating well for a very long time, and I'd like to flush some of that crap out of my body and then begin eating better. 

The body image thing...yes, that is an issue I have, and I really appreciate that I need to think differently about it. What I see when I look at that body is not just a bigger size, but I see it filled with unhealthy crap. I see it holding onto years of soda, chips, candy and other sweets. I see it drowning in pies and processed foods.

If my health wasn't suffering so much, perhaps the weight itself would not be as much of a concern. I am working on loving my body as it is, but I cannot in good conscience feel good about the crap that is sitting in each fold and dimple on that body.

I WILL say that I have amended my original plans. I have decided to only do the cleanse for a week (this time around), and then perhaps repeat it at a later time. I know there is conflicting thoughts in the medical community about the cleanse. I have seen reports both for and against the cleanse. I *HAVE* researched this, and have concluded that I feel it will be a good match for me. 
If at any time I am not feeling "right" on this cleanse, I will of course stop it immediately.

As I noted above, I *DO* recognize that I need to accept and appreciate my body for what it is. I have a hard time accepting the health challenges that come with this weight - most of which I haven't posted about. Suffice it to say, I need to get these toxins out of my body and lose some weight. I do not expect to be a size 10 when I'm done, but I *DO* expect my insides to have gotten a thorough flush. I *DO* expect to find myself in a position where I am ready to embrace a better way of fueling my body. 

Having said all that, here's an update...

I eased my way into things by having a day of soups and veggies. The next day I had soups and juices. The third day (yesterday) I did all juices (fruit and veggie). Today I started the cleanse with the lemonade.

I have to say, I'm not hungry in the traditional sense. I do have some cravings. I actually enjoy the lemonade. I've always liked cayenne pepper, but found I had to cut it back a little from the original recipe since it was a bit harsh on my throat.  It was a bit rough to cook dinner for the kids and smell all the delicious smells and not eat it. I won't kid you about that.   I drank some of the Smooth Move tea about an hour ago, and have not had any results from it. I am reluctant to do the salt-water flush just yet. I am going to give it a couple of days to see if I need to take more measures to "move things along".

I have to say, I feel actually very light. It's hard to explain beyond that. I am not bloated, and in fact I have lost 4 pounds since I started juicing/souping a few days ago. 

 I know this sounds wierd, but I am really looking forward to the actual "cleansing out" that will eventually happen. I hope that's not TMI. I can tell you that so far I'm feeling good, and besides my MIND wanting to eat food, my body is actually doing fine with this juice fast thus far. My husband is also doing well. We're planning to go until about Thursday, and then start easing out so we can enjoy some delicious healthy food next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment