Mulled Wine
I got a request for the recipes from my post Snippets of Autumn, so here we go!
Mulled Wine
*This was originally meant to be done in a croc pot, however mine broke the day before I wanted to make this! Instead of a croc pot, I then just cooked it on low in this big stock pot instead. Thanks goes out to my friend Sarah for the original recipe that I tweaked slightly
Ingredients:
Spirits-
1 and 1/2 (I used 2) bottles of red wine (I used merlot but you could just use a favorite, I'm sure... I'd love to try a Pinot Noir one, and even better might be a nice fruity Sangria)
2/3 c. brandy (or rum if you have that)
A liberal splash of rum (if not already using)
*Optional* 1 c. of apple cider (I used some old stuff that had fermented and was partially alcoholic already) I love apples and it's not part of the original recipe but I liked the apple-y tang it added to the flavor!
1 and 1/2 (I used 2) bottles of red wine (I used merlot but you could just use a favorite, I'm sure... I'd love to try a Pinot Noir one, and even better might be a nice fruity Sangria)
2/3 c. brandy (or rum if you have that)
A liberal splash of rum (if not already using)
*Optional* 1 c. of apple cider (I used some old stuff that had fermented and was partially alcoholic already) I love apples and it's not part of the original recipe but I liked the apple-y tang it added to the flavor!
2 oranges
whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 nutmeg
1/4 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. nearly-boiling water
whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 nutmeg
1/4 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. nearly-boiling water
1/4 - 1/2 cup of cranberries (optional/to your taste)
Directions:
1. Place sugar in the crock pot (or pot on the stove) and pour in the nearly-boiling water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Switch cooker/heat to high.
2. Rinse oranges, cut one in half then press cloves into each half (I used 8 - 10 cloves) and add it to the cooker with the cinnamon, nutmeg and wine. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes. Reduce to low and heat for 2 hours. (Feel free to sample while mulling--- it's important to know what you're makin'!)
3. Stir the brandy (rum and cider, too if you've got those) into the wine and add the other orange (halved and sliced). Heat for another hour.
4. Remove the larger orange halves and cinnamon stick (The orange is super tasty to eat now since mulled wine has soaked through the little clove holes! Also tore some of it apart and added it to some cooked carrots the next day.) Ready to serve! Can be kept hot for up to 4 hours (on warm, of course.)
2. Rinse oranges, cut one in half then press cloves into each half (I used 8 - 10 cloves) and add it to the cooker with the cinnamon, nutmeg and wine. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes. Reduce to low and heat for 2 hours. (Feel free to sample while mulling--- it's important to know what you're makin'!)
3. Stir the brandy (rum and cider, too if you've got those) into the wine and add the other orange (halved and sliced). Heat for another hour.
4. Remove the larger orange halves and cinnamon stick (The orange is super tasty to eat now since mulled wine has soaked through the little clove holes! Also tore some of it apart and added it to some cooked carrots the next day.) Ready to serve! Can be kept hot for up to 4 hours (on warm, of course.)
This stuff warmed me to the bone and was intoxicating-- but not ridiculously so. A mellow, seasonal drunk!
Spiced Pumpkin Oat Bread
Ingredients:
1 box of pumpkin bread mix
eggs, milk/water, etc. as directed on the box (I use apple sauce instead of any oil required)
1-2 tsp apple or pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butterscotch chips (you could add more/less/omit)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts plus more for the topping
Directions:
1. Add all ingredients your pumpkin bread mix requires
2. Add all additional ingredients. If your mix feels a bit too dry, simply add more liquid. In my case, I added only a little bit more apple sauce...maybe about 1/4 cup more. The consistency should be the same as most quick breads
3. Add additional chopped walnuts to the top. I used quite a bit, because I really love nuts. It's totally up to you!
4. Bake according to the directions on the box. It should cook in pretty much the same amount of time, however keep an eye on it during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time. When a toothpick or piece of dry spaghetti inserted comes out clean, it's ready! This tastes really great with some warm milk or your favorite warm beverage.
No comments:
Post a Comment