This handsome fellow sat high up in one of our trees, checking out our compost pile (which I suspect must be home to a few mice he's interested in).
In other news, this week has been sooo busy! I had a party this morning for my kids and the kids I watch. We had cupcakes, ghost and pumpkin shaped cookies, pumpkin bread, "blood juice" (red food coloring in apple-strawberry juice), and other yummies. We played ring toss onto a pumpkin stem, did freeze dancing, colored pictures and sang songs. This afternoon the kids are watching It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown with some popcorn in pumpkin-colored bowls. It's been a blast so far!
This weekend we have 2 parties and a Samhain ritual to attend. I am most looking forward to the ritual, personally. It is an adults-only ritual. I always advocate for including children in our rituals, but admittedly I am looking forward to having the solemn ritual and honoring my ancestors. This year in particular I am in need of some "just mom" time (hubby is staying home with the kids so I can attend the ritual). My beliefs are important to me, but I often kinda shuffle them a bit more to the background in favor of daily life. I definately try to take time each day to ponder nature, enjoy the sunset or a swift breeze (or salute a handsome hawk in a tree), but it is not the same as the very deliberate planning and participation in ritual. I love the focus that ritual draws me to, causing me to place more intentionality in my celebrations of the season.
Hail to the honored dead!
Beautiful post! I am glad you will have a chance to celebrate this holiday in the way you want to.
ReplyDeleteBrightest blessings.
I am so happy for you! You are so right that it is not the same as planning and participation in ritual.
ReplyDeleteSounds like the kids and you, had a wonderful time with your party.
(((HUGS)))
What a beautiful and appropriate sighting this time of year. I hope you and yours enjoy all the Halloween and Samhain fun!
ReplyDeleteThe hawks seem to be quite plentiful this year. Last weekend while I was out I saw them everywhere. I think I may have one that frequents the big cottonwood near my pond.... I love having them around... beautiful birds
ReplyDelete