Friday, October 2, 2009

2nd Day of Halloween - Candy Corn In Space




5 comments:

  1. I seem to be having trouble adding more thoughts to the bottom of the video, so I'll post them here!

    The video is of an experiment being carried out on the International Space Station using candy corn! Check it out!

    After you're done with that, get some candy corn and have your kids create "currency" with them and do some math! A whole kernel can be worth 25 cents, the tip bitten off can be worth 10 cents, and just the base left can be worth a penny.

    Have the kids draw a chart, creating pictures of the 4 different stages of the corn and their "monitary" value. Then, while having them use the chart as a guide, give them different price amounts for them to figure out. They can give you any combination of kernels so long as it adds up to the price you've given them! In the end, of course, the real reward of math well done is getting to eat their "money"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love candy corn, that is my favorite and of course black jelly beans. What a fun way to enjoy math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I'm not a big fan of the stuff myself, BUT it is iconic to Halloween and I think it is wonderful that he is allowed to bring it on the Space Station.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your blog, and have an award for you on my blog. stop by sometime! Menearfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Evie - my eyes are about to shut involuntarily on me, so I'll grab it tomorrow...but I really, really appreciate it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete