Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1 - First Day Of Halloween!

After what began as a very warm, relatively sunny week, today was the Goddess' wake-up call: We are truly in Autumn and the weather is getting cooler! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For my first post for the 31 Days Of Halloween, here are pics of how we made our hanging spiders. 

Hanging Spiders
Materials:
paper bowls
black, glossy spray paint
black construction paper
white paper
black sharpee
scissors
thread, string or yarn


1.  Spray paint the inside and outside of the paper bowls in a well-ventalated area.  Do one side (you may need 2 coats), let it dry, then do the other side.


2.  While the paint is drying on the bowls, fold the pieces of construction paper accordian style.


(This is another view of paper folded accordian style)


3. Place one fold atop another until the paper looks like this (above). Cut strips about 1/4 inch wide for the spider's legs.  Remember:  you'll want 8 legs per spider.


4.  Using the white paper, cut out eyes and teeth. Decorate the eyes in whatever expression you like.
5. Poke a tiny hole in the middle of the bowl. Cut off a 2-3 foot section (or whatever length will get it to hang from wherever you are hanging it from at a good height) of thread/string/yarn and pull it up through the hole. Tie a knot on the underside and then you can hang the spider from wherever you like!


Here's a full picture of what my table looked like earlier this evening (click picture to enlarge) .  On it you see the bucket I stashed all the spider legs into. In the foreground is the stack of painted bowls, just waiting to become spiders.  In the middle of the table are small pumpkins - 3 real and 1 ceramic in the front that says Happy Harvest. 

Sprawled out in the left corner are some felt leaves I cut out. I got the idea from another blogger to make a leaf-garland wreath.  Not sure if I want to add veins in the leaves or not yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am making 15 spiders and am planning to make a couple of wire hoops to hang them from various spots around the house.

3 comments:

  1. I'm printing out the instructions - we have all the materials right here! We're off to make spiders!

    Thank you for sharing this project - I'm ready to add more decorations to our home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great project for all ages! Thanks for sharing another great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, that second from last picture is seriously creeping me out! no matter where I move he keeps looking at me...

    ReplyDelete