Tuesday, October 6, 2009

6th Day of Halloween/Samhain - Honoring the Ancestors

Today is a very emotional day, as we're dealing with some "domestic issues" here in our house right now.  I really want to blog about them, but am not sure how to without getting too snarky or fiesty about it.  Needless to say, I am hoping when the dust settles I'll be able to speak about it.

So, to the ancestors...

My mother is my hero, and I miss her terribly.  She was one of the wisest, funniest, smartest most wonderful women I have have met.  To say I strive to be like her is an understatement (and I fear I fall dreadfully short of filling those amazing shoes).  She was very loving and giving. She was both quick to laugh and quick to temper (a combination that I seemed to have inherited).

My mom passed over on January 31, 2001. I was 29, and in my opinion too young to be left motherless.  I needed and relied upon her wisdom to raise my child (back then I only had 1 who was only 2 at the time). I needed her council with marriage, and just life.  I miss her in so many ways that cannot fully be expressed. I mostly miss her when I look at my children and realize they will never know their grandmother (who would have spoiled them all senseless with her love, as she did to my daughter for the 2 short years before she left this plane).

Her name was Martha, and she grew up on a farm in Dexter, Maine.  She married my dad and divorced when I was 2. Back then, being a single mom was even more of a challenge than now.  She worked her fingers to the bone so I could eat, and finally remarried when I was nearly 9 and we had a better life financially after that.  She accepted me unconditionally and always encouraged me to be myself.

Mom, I love and miss you so very much. 

I am honoring my mother this year (as with the past 8 years) as the center of my ancestral altar.  She was truly one of a kind.

2 comments:

  1. I would be so lost without my mom. She is just super. I am so sorry you were so young when she passed over. (((HUGS))) to you....

    Hoping the the dust settles quickly in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who did not grow up with a mother, I can not completely understand what it is like to miss one (I missed HAVING a mother, but I didn't miss her as a person).

    It must be an awful loss, because she obviously loved you greatly, and vice versa.

    I hope everything at home settles down.

    ReplyDelete