We really mourned the day our local Borders Books store closed. It was such a family tradition for us to go over to Borders and spend a good hour (or more!) browsing through books while the kids played and read in the kids' section. Luckily, our Borders Books was replaced with Books-A-Million (BAM), with the same basic inventory, prices, and service.
This Saturday is the kick-off to the BAM summer reading program for kids. To me, summer reading programs are just so exciting and fun! We always love to read, but it's so nice in the summer because there isn't the same pressure as there might be during the "school year". I put the words school year in quotes, because I believe that learning goes on all year 'round. In fact, I enjoy working on learning activities with the kids more in the summer because it always feels like something extra special for some reason. Again, we take our time and go at an easy, un-pressured pace. I don't set firm goals, but more like guidelines that I hope to achieve over the summer.
Consider a summer reading program with your kids this summer!

No comments:
Post a Comment