Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Am I taking a step backwards?


Trying to reconcile living more gently upon the earth 
with 'modern conveniences'

It's been about 10 years since I've owned a clothes dryer. For many of those years, I also did not own a clothes washer...well, at least not a TYPICAL washer.  Let me explain:


In an effort to  a) save money   b) save water   c) save electricity and d) live more gently upon the earth, I opted for a Wonder Wash (I'll call it a WW). When I wasn't simply washing my clothes in the tub with me (!), I would wash clothes in the WW.  I am happy to report that the WW is everything I hoped it would be. I could put everything except blankets (too big) in there, and so THOSE would be washed in the tub.  It was easy to use and lasted me a good several years before the crank broke. I could have fought with Customer Service to get another crank, but it happened to coincide with our move to this larger apartment. This larger apartment has a washer and dryer hook-up (unlike our old apartment). This was 3 years ago. Now, granted, I had found a washer on the side of the road once and hooked it up in the living room of the old apartment and used it for over a year before it broke.  

ANYWAY, so even though I had broken down and gotten a clothes washer, I STILL had not broken down to get a dryer. I've used drying racks (and, as of 3 years ago, I also now use a small clothes line outside in nice weather) ALL THIS TIME!!! For 10 years I have air-dried my clothes!!

I'm sure you are seeing where this post is heading.....

We're on the cusp of buying a clothes dryer. Now, here's why.....

Dirty clothes get backed up too badly because  a) I can only dry 1 or 2 loads at once   and  b) unless the weather is sunny, warm and/or windy, the clothes will not dry properly and often become moldy/musty.

It's becoming an issue that our bathroom is overrun with dirty clothes, not to mention our bedrooms.  I often have to re-wash items that become too moldy because they were not able to dry fully in humid/rainy/cold weather.  Our weather here in Maine has just been so rainy this year that I am lucky if I can get 3 loads of laundry fully dried each week.  For a family of 5, that's not quite enough to cut the mustard!  

So, why do I feel so guilty about buying a dryer? I cannot shake the feeling that somehow I'm 'selling out'. I'm taking a step backwards if you think about energy self sufficiency!  I've prided myself on not having a dryer for so long, and here we are about to buy one!

I am trying to console myself with the fact that if the S*** hits the fan, I COULD easily go back to washing clothes in a tub and hanging them to dry without a problem. Also, I still plan to continue to dry a load (or 2) on nice days. It's just that....I'll (hopefully) be able to really keep on top of our dirty laundry, and I won't waste energy redoing moldy laundry.  Sounds great...but, I can't help but feel mixed about it! I hope Gaia will forgive me!





1 comment:

  1. I hardly think you need to feel guilty honey. You will only be using the dryer when you CANT air dry.

    If you were using it every single load when there was perfectly good sunshine you might have something to feel guilty of but I don't think using a convenience sparingly should cause you too much concern.

    ReplyDelete