Friday, August 19, 2011

Conversations With Goddess


Warning: Adult Themes!

Lately, I've been enjoying an audiobook series called Conversations with God (perhaps you've heard of it?).  There are some very interesting and helpful ideas in the series that really speak to me. I would say that I agree with probably a good 80% of the material presented.  

It's one of the ideas in the 20% that I wanted to post about today, because I just listened to it last night and have been pondering it.  I was listening to a section that I believe is from the 3rd book in the series (I have the whole series on my ipod, and I shuffle through them a lot to allow for synchronicity to guide me to parts I might need to hear).

The message was about human sexuality.  God/Goddess said that the 'best' way to deal with sex amongst teens and 'unwanted' childbirth was to allow the teens to just follow what their bodies naturally crave, and if any babies are produced, to have the elders in the community raise them. The thinking is that the elders have more patience and life experience to deal with the babies, and the teens can then go off and experience and enjoy life without having any responsibilities to the babies.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get behind this idea in any way, shape or form.  Firstly, there's the issue of STD's, which is a health and safety issue.  Secondly, the teens may 'crave' sexual experiences, but I do not believe they are mature enough to handle the freedom of just acting upon their every craving.  How would these babies feel to think their parents did not have them thoughtfully?? I mean, sure, there are plenty of unintended births each year.  Those children then may or may not have real challenges on their hands based on how their parents dealt with the unintended child.  If the parents then took every measure possible to give that child the best atmosphere possible, then the child would have a better chance at a happy life.

I think that perhaps God/Goddess was confusing us with another planet where STD's don't exist and elders were actually honored for what they can contribute to the 'tribe'. Also, I believe that God/Goddess was forgetting that the elders have already put in their time as caregiver! They've now earned the right to enjoy the lives they've spent years creating for themselves! They might be happy to HELP raise their grandchildren, but it is utterly unfair to just saddle them with that responsibility! I also think it would be incredibly irresponsible to just go tell teens to follow their every whim with no thoughts toward making responsible decisions.

If we all acted on our every whim, I do not feel the world would be fundamentally better.  Just think about the pedophiles, rapists and murderers we already have...vs. how many MORE there would be if society got the message that it was OK to just do what you wanted whenever you got the urge!

I do appreciate the author trying to indicate that elders could and should play a more active role in the upbringing of our children. I really DO believe that children benefit from a large circle of loving people (emphasis on LOVING. Quantity does NOT outweigh quality!).  We've marginalized elders in such a way that our children are not benefitting from their wisdom.  Saddling those elders with the responsibility of raising children that WE did not want to take responsibility for, however, is probably the worst idea I have ever heard.  Sorry Neale Donald Walsch, but I think you bumped your head on that one!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, someone had a little too much sacred incense burning the night they wrote that one...

    ReplyDelete