Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Preparing For Autumn While Enjoying Summer

(Pic of a good friend's no-till garden)

Whew, what a summer it's been so far!  We're still waiting on bank #2 to sign off on our house offer, so all inspections and what not are on hold for the moment. 

I've been enjoying my morning walk out into my small garden to see how things are growing. So far the major players ready to harvest have been: blueberries, strawberries, herbs, scallions and zucchini.  I've collected seeds from raddish that over-wintered, as well as from chives and scallions and am currently drying them out fully to use next year.

I am very pleased with the weather this summer! The kids get outside nearly every day to play, and it's been temperate enough to keep all the windows open without turning on a fan or a/c (except at night, when it can get stuffy in our bedroom).  

It's Lammas/Lughnasadh (starting yesterday), and I have really been enjoying this time of year even more so than year's past. It hasn't been too rainy this summer, and yet not too dry either. I know the harvest has just begun, as I have a gazillion cherry tomatoes just waiting to ripen out there.  

Everything seems to be coming together, even if some things are creeping along at a slower pace than we'd like.  I'll take 'creeping' over 'stagnant' any day!

I've been slowly picking up items for pre-school in the fall and for general decor of my new childcare space in our soon-to-be-acquired home.  It's been fun to pick out a few new items that I know
the kids will love - a few scarecrows, apple-themed items, and other decorative items.  I've picked up some learning materials and have been saving certain recyclable items for craft projects (ie. pizza cardboard circles, paper towel rolls, etc).

It will be particularly fun this year, because my son is becoming a pretty good reader! I plan to have some sort of reading phrase/book for him each week, which I really think will help push his reading into high gear.

This year I want our craft projects to have more of a 'nature' theme than last year.  I want to honor the seasons even more than last year with the kids. It is all very exciting for me to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment