Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Food of the gods and goddesses - Cranberry Ambrosia



While looking for a recipe that will allow me to use some seasonal fruit along with some of my canned goods, I came across this great recipe for Cranberry Ambrosia.
It's very healthy and would make a great dessert or quick treat for guests. 

I love the idea of using mindful eating (something that is new for me that I want to do more of), and so as I eat this treat, I am going to chew slowly and think of each plant, animal or tree that was involved in the making of the ambrosia.  I will be thankful for the seasons that allow for certain fruit to thrive locally. I will be thankful for the rain, sunlight and moonlight that touched each item. 
I will thank the Goddess for her amazing harvest this year.  I will thank the Greenman for his careful tending of the animals (I will use cream when I make this recipe).

I will also be sure to share this with loved ones, so that we can enjoy the bounty together. Blessed be!

Cranberry Ambrosia:
8 oz can pineapple tidbits, drained (or cut up your own pineapple fresh)
2 mandarin oranges, segmented
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
1 can cranberry sauce with berries, chopped (or make your own)
8 oz sour cream
1 1/2 cups fresh whipped cream
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 cup whipped cream
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup toasted coconut

Combine pineapple, oranges, cherries and cranberry sauce. Mix in the sour cream, whipped cream, and lemon juice and chill in the refrigerator for at elast 2 hours. Before serving, smooth the additional whipped cream on top and garnish with fresh cranberries and coconut.  Serves 4.  (the pic above unfortunately does not show the finished product, but is a good start!)

No comments:

Post a Comment