Hi Everyone!
For me, living more gently on the earth and raising kids to do the same includes growing some of your own food. Even if you only grow some herbs on the windowsill, you are at least doing something small to insure that your family is participating in the cycle of getting food on the table. To see a plant go from seed to food is really a wonderful experience. It is at once meditative, exciting and full of hope. It helps connect us to the earth and the natural world around us as we become a part of the cycle of food and growth.
Secretly, I am hoping my kids will consider eating more vegetables after they have helped plant seeds, water the plants, watch them grow, and then help me pick the goodies. I also love the idea that we pour our love into these tidbits that will eventually end up on our tables.
Because we grow organically, we know our food is healthier and better for us. We know exactly what is in our vegetables. We also eat a little taste of love in every bite! How awesome is that?!
Please consider planting something that will end up on YOUR family's plate today!

We have ours started too. Just added a couple blueberries and honey bees! I love knowing exactly where my food came from! Thanks for stopping by True Aim Education.
ReplyDeleteWitchy Mom,
ReplyDeleteIs that a yogurt cup I see? I had a closet full of empty food containers to re-purpose as plant containers.
This year we made three garden beds...one for each of us (Part of home schooling). Everything was started from seed. We made raised beds out of cinder blocks, used PVC for a trellis and even utilized a window blind. OH I could go on and on...Im so proud. Lucky I have it on my blog so I can see what I did next year. HOw quickly the mind forgets...and thank goodness for blogs.
With All That I Am
Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"
Yes, that most certainly is a yogurt cup! It's amazing how long plants will be happy in one before needing to be put in the garden!
ReplyDelete