OK, I am guilty of buying too much candy each year for Ostara/Easter. Eggs, being a symbol of fertility (which is what is often celebrated at the Spring Equinox) are fun to use (and eat!) this time of the year. This is especially true of the candy kind! It seems like a long stretch from Samhain/Halloween to Ostara/Easter, and so we all seem well and truly ready for another influx of too-much-candy by the time Spring rolls around.
We had a very lovely Ostara/Easter weekend this year. We began with an egg hunt at our home (which the kids had a blast with). We followed that with some french toast (to continue on with the theme of eggs and sugar, I'd say) for breakfast. We enjoyed some family time before getting dressed for our new annual tradition. You see, my longtime childhood friend invites us to join her family at a local restaurant for lunch each year at Ostara/Easter. I always bring something special for all of the kids in our big group - like a craft or something that will keep the kids busy for a while as we all wait for our food to be ready.
This year, I found a kit that includes egg-shaped cookies that you can then decorate with the included frosting and mini candies. The kids really enjoyed making their own, and it passed the time quite nicely until food finally arrived at the tables. If I had planned ahead, I probably could have baked the cookies myself and then provided home-mixed frosting...but time and energy slipped away from me this week.
Some say that folks with an earth-based, seasonal focus to their spirituality are 'evil' and 'bad'. When I arrived home with my kids, we all raced into the house to eat more of our candy and play with the ring-toss game I set up for the kids. Our focus was on fun that day....it was on family togetherness....it was on sharing love. Evil must have a different definition than I am aware of.
We stopped to smell the roses (as they say), and let me tell you:
those roses smelled as beautiful as ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment