A year of food life
When I first picked up this book well over a year ago, I was more interested in books about gardening. I didn't realize just what an impact this particular "gardening" book would have on me....
For me, part of being connected to the earth (and part of what I include in my definition - for myself - of being "pagan") includes drawing energy, sustenance and joy from the world around me. In other words, in order to feel whole and complete, I like to commune with all 5 elements of Air, Water, Earth, Sun and Spirit. In my opinion, those elements are found around us, wherever we happen to be in the moment.
To take this a step further, I have slowly been realizing that I feel so much better when I honor the energies that are around where I live. The ocean, for example, is a powerful recharging agent in my life because I grew up along her shore. The local trees and plants have special meaning for me, as do the songs of the local birds. The breeze lifts me up, and the amount of sunlight in my local area is perfect for my health and well-being.
This book, then takes it yet another step further. The idea of locavore living is not a terribly new one, but it has definately become "in vogue" in recent years. The premise is that it is better for our bodies, our local economy, and the planet if we try to consume mostly foodstuffs that are produced locally. If one cannot grow their own food (and I personally believe just about ANYONE can grow at least ONE thing, be it a small herb pot in the window sill), then they should seek out local sources. Another consideration is the care of the animals we consume (if you eat meat, that is). Seek out local farmers who treat their animals well, feed them appropriate foods, and let the animals "outside to play", etc.
I cannot say enough wonderful things about this book. There are more little gems in it that I could spend all day pointing out, but instead I'll leave you with this thought: if you could spend a year trying to grow much of your own food, without a huge amount of previous knowledge, how what your year of on-the-job farming look like? What small choices at the grocery store/farmer's market/local farm can you make each week/month that can help you become more of a locavore?

No comments:
Post a Comment