Here's my current progress on my very first "Waldorf" style doll.
Because I wanted to ensure that the doll would be ready to go under the holiday tree, I started out with a pre-fabricated doll form that I got at my local craft store (JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts) for about $7.00. I then grabbed a small amount of muslin fabric for about $1.00 and some worsted wool yarn for the hair at $6.00/skein (I will not need the entire skein). I already had twine and embroidery floss.
I tied some twine (and then yarn to add extra strength) around the center of the head to shape it and create an eye line.
I then made a nose, using twine for thread.
I then stretched some of the muslin fabric over the head, pulling it rather tight.
I sewed the muslin onto the back. This looks a bit scary right here, but after this I decided to trim some of this off and sew it a little more "tidy-ly").
I measured out lengths of the worsted wool yarn and cut them to the length I wanted.
I found some embroidery floss to match that I used to attach the "hair" to the head.
I made a braid out of the yarn, attaching just the end to the very top of the head.
I laid the hair across the head carefully...
I then pulled the braid up straight....
...and then folded it over the hair.
Now I could attach the "hair" using the braid as the central, stablizing point for the hair.
Once I had enough hair for a bottom layer, I sewed the hair about midway across the head so I could use the now-flattened upper part like a wig-base to attach more "hair" to.
The hair is getting more and more full with each layer I add.
I then used bright blue embroidery floss to create the left eye. Next on the docket: create the right eye, add a few more layers of hair, smooth out and then sew the neck section onto the body, and then create the Dolly and Me dresses so my little lady can match her adorable new dolly.
She's going to love seeing this under the tree!
















This is so awesome! I'm excited to see how she turns out. I looked at making our own doll a few years ago (for the Kid's first Christmas) but quickly got overwhelmed and decided to buy one instead.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Admittedly, she has fallen to the back burner this week (I'm so glad I started her early!!!), but I'm hoping to do some more work on her this weekend and will post pics. I was sorely tempted to buy one as well, but the cost of the dolls I found online caused a bit too much sticker shock! This cutie cost me about $20 - $25 in materials (give or take), which of course is far less than the ones I saw online. I am not saying those artists shouldn't charge those prices (there is some amazing talent out there, along with time and love that goes into the dolls), naturally!
ReplyDeleteI did end up buying some wooden toys, for as much ambition as I had to use my moto saw for every single wooden toy I wanted for this holiday season. Time and energy just isn't what it could be, you know? I think we do what we can - sometimes it makes sense to support an artist who clearly has put a lot of love into something that your know your children will simply adore!