Monday, August 5, 2013

Website Review: Maths Zone (Also: Updates)



Hi Everyone!

It's been a while since I've reviewed a website, and I hope to be doing more of that this year. I sometimes worry that such mundane items might not appeal to anyone, and then I'll see a friend of mine in the grocery store who says to me "Hey, I read your review of (insert site here) and loved it! Thanks!".  So, without further ado....

While doing a web search for online games for telling time, I came up with this:
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/measures.htm

It blew my mind to see so many telling time games in one spot, and then I noticed the left-hand navigational bar that has links to games in many other areas of math.

We had a blast playing around with these games, and I definitely will be using this site in the future to reinforce other math concepts and skills.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Other News:  I have been putting together my curriculum for my 6 year old. We had a portfolio review about two weeks ago which we "passed with flying colors" and are now all set to begin our curriculum for this coming school year. As I've mentioned before, I don't believe we ever stop learning, but I have certainly slowed down any real structured learning for this last remaining month of summer.

We finished off our Ancient Egypt Unit Study, which was a blast. We'll come back to Ancient Egypt again in a couple of years, but I love that this was a basic intro to give him some of the basics. When his interest in it waned, we wrapped up the unit and called it a day (so to speak).

On Friday, my in-laws (visiting from Australia), my husband and our 6 y.o. took the train down to Boston to view the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Boston Museum of Science. They had a great time and (naturally) a lot of learning happens organically at places like these. Fun + learning = Yay!

That's the news fit to print for the moment. This visit from the in-laws has been a bit of a whirlwind visit. We'll miss them very much, and now we plan to take a bit of time to recharge our batteries after such a busy three weeks! As you can imagine, hosting people in your home for several weeks can be very stimulating, but overall it has been a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment