Summertime Fun
It's kinda hard to believe that summer is marching right along and that full-on lessonwork will begin again in earnest soon. I asked our son what day he wanted to start lessons again, and he came up with the date of September 2nd - which is, of course, a holiday - but the great thing about homeschooling is that we can work on lessons - or choose not to - as we please!
As I type this, it is one of those fabulous crisp evenings Maine is so famous for - the kind where you don't need any fans running and you can still keep a few windows open comfortably, but you'll want an afghan or light blanket when you go to sleep. The kids are happily playing in the yard and I can hear the gentle chirping of crickets and creepers, the twitter of birds, and the joyful squeals of my children enjoying each other's company just 15 feet away from where I sit gazing out the back door at them.
It doesn't get any better than this.
Well, I have the curriculum for this coming year about 80% organized. Having said that, in the past I have found that the best-laid plans can and do change. The more research I do into other methods of educating (such as Waldorf methods), the more excited I get about incorporating those ideas into our year. Time is drawing to a close, and I really want to start the year off on a great footing this year with the new ideas I've been reading about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In other news, international travel plans have been ramping up. I have been making some friends online in some of the local areas we'll visit, so I am looking at it as a fun adventure where perhaps, finally, after all these years of searching, I may actually find people of like mind that will be a great fit for our family.
I would encourage anyone else who has ever felt that traveling to truly consider it!. Get a different perspective for a while and see what becomes of that. Seek out people of genuine kindness and supportive spirit. Don't just settle for folks who talk a good talk, but who are not actually ever there for you as a friend.
I've been meditating a lot to process through my hopes and plans for our traveling, which is helping me to envision even more fun ideas. I know it's going to be a great adventure for our family, and reconnecting with my husband's family is going to be so great for us all!
We have one more week before we start our formal lessons again. I am sure a lot will be reconfigured as we go along. I love the flexibility of homeschooling! It's all about what is best for the kids....what will help them feel successful while learning skills they'll need for life. My oldest is taking some college classes this year at the age of 16. I love her motivation and drive, and I know she is going to enjoy her own adventures that she is co-creating for herself!
How are your schooling plans coming along?
No comments:
Post a Comment