Our Dinner Destination Was at The End of The Rainbow
I wake myself to greet the day,
I wake myself to work and play.
~ Waldorf morning verse
I have been putting together more homeschooling items, and I actually am planning to do a video on my system since I enjoyed doing the other one so much. It really is a lot easier to talk sometimes than it is to type, and of course I wanted to get a tour of our classroom/playroom for everyone (which is hard to do with just snapshots and captions).
I never enjoyed the monotony of daily math worksheets, and my son seems to have caught that bug as well. Because of this, we spend a great deal of time using manipulatives, songs and games and other methods to work on specific math skills. As we delve into some Waldorf education lessons, there are some great math stories I'm planning to incorporate that involve math gnomes or a math 'royal family'.
More on this in another post!
As for other subjects, we will be working on grammar, but those items are found within the interdisciplinary unit studies I put together. I find items that relate to a topic (like frogs, for example) and springboard off of that. I will have my son draw the life cycle of frogs and label the stages. He'll write a couple of sentences about the life cycle of frogs - I'll circle the things he may get wrong grammar-wise and he'll then try to figure it out and revise his writing. We read tons of books and do different kinds of reporting on those books - from traditional sheets stating the author, title, characters, plot, conflict, resolution and conclusion to a lapbook on the book or other 3D display.
We're just discovering Waldorf Education, and right now I'm just starting to learn how to create lessons from what I am studying. I love looking at videos and at other blogs to see how other people conduct their homeschool in the Waldorf tradition. It was my desire from the beginning not to create a "school at home" environment, but rather more of a "home learning" one. The difference is really huge when you get right down to it!
Waldorf education has always kinda tugged at me, and we've certainly included Waldorf ideas into our lives, but I would like to be much more intentional about it this year. I want to include more songs, movement, stories and specific time for imaginative play. I'm still putting things together, and so I apologize if its not very clear or easy to understand just yet what I'm hoping to do. I promise, I will post more about it as I go. You can go on the journey with me!
I love that I can be as flexible as I want. I can have times where it might feel slightly more "regimented", and then other times when it is completely free form. Going with the ebb and flow of our bodies, minds, hearts and spirits is so important to me. I sometimes neglect pieces of that equation, but I truly want to give more intentionality to my efforts this year.
See you soon, when I hopefully will have my act together a bit more to show you a system we'll be using that is sort of a take on workboxes, but without the boxes. Goodnight, friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment