Friday, May 31, 2013

Here Comes The Sun


Today it was 99F (37C) here in Southern Maine

This was completely unexpected to me, since we had frost just a couple of weeks ago! My garden has been pretty slow to get going, and in fact some of my seedlings have died due to poor soil conditions. I'm currently brewing some compost tea, which should be ready tomorrow to pour over the garden in hopes of reviving it a bit. The kids have been helping me do some grass-clipping mulching of some of the plants like the strawberries (which have been sluggish this year. I didn't mulch them well enough in the autumn, and so some of them didn't make it through the winter).

My body seems to like a slower transition from one season to the next, so it's been a bit hard for me to totally attune to the hot weather we've been having. I think that in my mind somewhere, it should still be in the 60's and 70's for another few weeks! Well, since the hotter weather has been thrust upon us, I will adjust by making sure I don't spend too much time in the hot sun until I'm a bit more acclimated to it. The kids also seem to be adjusting slowly, as their faces get ruddy and they seem generally overheated after just 10 minutes outside. I'm sure we'll all get into the groove soon.

The other day my son and I had an interesting discussion. We hadn't really spoken outwardly very much about belief systems with him yet, opting instead to let him discover the world in his own way first. Naturally, we place a high importance on the cycles of the year and on nature, but we allow for the kids to process that importance in their own ways. If they want to participate, they can, and if they do not, 
they can either watch, or be respectful while we do our own thing.

We had been chatting about fairy tales, so I felt it out a bit and realized it might be a nice time to introduce the idea of spirituality and belief systems. At one point, I mentioned that some people feel that the idea of god/goddess is a man or woman dressed in fancy clothes and living sorta in the sky, listening to prayers and helping people out from time to time. I also stated that some people feel that the idea of god/goddess is more of a metaphor for attributes that people feel strongly drawn to. For example, a goddess of the hunt might appeal to someone who wants to feel more of a connection with animals, animal husbandry, hunting, or the idea of the cycles of life that animals (as well as humans) go through during the year.

 I also stated that some people feel that god is energy. This is when my wise little man spoke up and said "That's what *I* think, Mama! I think it is kinda like on Star Wars how there is the Force, which flows through everything and everyone. It makes the plants and animals and people grow,
 and we're all connected by it." 

 I was totally blown away by this, and told him it was a great way to think about life. I also like the idea of Universal Energy all around and within us, and that the gods and goddesses that are found in different cultures are manifestations of that One Source (as some call it). I told my son that he will likely add different pieces of information and thoughts over the years to his ideas about life, and that it's ok if his thoughts about it change over the years....or even if they stay the same over the years. I told him that the important thing is that he treat other people (and himself!) the best that he can, and that I would always be proud of him
 no matter what.

Our family celebrations include those of the seasons, sun and moon cycles and other special occasions. There are a few wonderful people we like to get together with to celebrate these events with, which is always a delight to share reverence and honor special occasions with a loving community of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment