Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

Image via Facebook

I hope all of the mothers out there had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, and of course to those who are not mothers, I hope that whatever special part of you that you have given birth to (whether it is a special project, taking care of pets, or what-have-you) is filling you with the pride you deserve.

The weekend was pretty wonderful for the most part. I went to see a play at my oldest child's high school in which she is involved, and it was a fun experience. I sat near several fellow educators and we had wonderful discussions and caught up on things with them. What a fun evening!

On Mother's Day, my husband went out and got breakfast for us all and brought it back to the house so we could stay in our jammies - which was pretty awesome. We had a wonderful morning together, and then around lunchtime he took the littlest ones away for several hours and left me with an exquisitely lovely afternoon of QUIET. When he returned, he brought back some Indian food from a new Indian restaurant we hadn't tried yet. The food was quite nice and certainly this new place will be added to our list.  We then spent the evening together as a family. 

Today, the kids got up early and have been having fun playing with educational games right now. My son totally blew my mind last week by grasping the number line (with positive and negative numbers, adding and subtracting like a pro) and then graphing (x and y coordinates just "made sense" to him right away). Having a gifted child in the home is both exciting and scary! I worry that he may run into more uncaring and inflexible instructors like he did at the beginning of the school year before I pulled him out of school. I just have to remind myself that I can choose to homeschool him for as long as needed. It is obvious, however, that he is going to surpass even the brightest of his same age peers very soon as his mind seems to be in overdrive. 

I am hoping that when we finally relocate, we'll find a really great school for the kids!!! Homeschool has been great, but I think the kids will have a wonderful experience if they can be in a school in another country. They can immerse themselves even more fully into the culture and learn SO much!

Today I'm planning to get into the garden, and have the kids help me. I planted some potatoes over the weekend and have some more seedlings to put out this week. This week is supposed to be the last week of frost. Of course, here in Maine anything is possible!  I am planning to make some compost tea, maybe next week, to help my garden flourish even better than last year. It's really fun to grow some of our own food, and to experiment each year to find out what things work and what things need tweaking. The fact that the kids are learning along with me makes it even more fun.

Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment