Friday, March 23, 2012

Old Energy


Folks, don't get me wrong. I am not perfect.  In fact, I am definitely a work-in-progress.

 In my quest to find a balance in my life in every area, I sometimes move more toward the light, and sometimes a step away from it. Maybe when I find examples of people still stuck in Old Energy, it is presented to me for my own learning. It helps me to step back and see how ridiculous Old Energy can really be.

What do I mean by Old Energy? Well, Old Energy is defined by 'enlightened' folk as thoughts and actions that are still stuck in fear and anger. People stuck in Old Energy have a need for drama. They tend to feed off of it, actually. Those in the Old Energy may try to pass themselves off as being ahead of the curve in regards to their 'enlightenment', but if you watch their actions and listen to their words, the fear, anger and drama come shining through.

Such is the case with a particular blogger. She is a 'leader' in the spiritual community in which she portends to practice her craft, however her actions often show an overgrown child - moody, broody, and starving for attention. I've blogged about her before (among others who put on the face of being positively-minded, when in fact both of these ladies are often confrontational, abrasive and pety).

It's hard for me to even write about it, because part of me feels that in my quest to move away from Old Energy, by critiquing it, I am participating in it to some small degree. There is another part of me, however, that finds it helpful to acknowledge Old Energy as an example of behaviors I do NOT want to participate in any longer. I guess that in order for me to catch myself slipping into Old Energy, I need to recognize what it looks like. I examine it from all angles to figure out why it no longer serves me.

What is frustrating is when I see these 'leaders' spewing their drama, dragging others along with them. So many 'sheeples' (as I'll call them) rely on leaders to show them the 'correct' way of living, which makes these would-be leaders in a position of responsibility to take great care with the example they set.

Folks, I do not believe that the earth-based (or 'pagan', as some label it) path is supposed to include drama. In fact, it was always my impression that to 'harm none' meant exactly that. Whatsoever you put forth will come back to you three-fold. Remember all of that? Basically what that means is that whatever energy you throw out there, it WILL come back to you. What exactly is it that you want to attract to your life? Do you want more drama, or do you want to find peace. Do you want to live in harmony with others around you, or to have continued strife, discomfort, animosity, and intimidation? Do you need to control every situation? Can't you allow that in order for all folks to live in tolerance of one another, there is a learning curve there.

People who claim to want world peace and tolerance forget that you cannot bully people into tolerating their beliefs. Just because someone makes an off-hand comment, is it really the peaceful path to go after them and their bosses in order to get the perfect apology you're hoping for?

Tolerance can go two ways. We can be a little more tolerant of those who do not understand us who then make careless comments or actions.  If we feel compelled to do so, we can try patiently to explain that their opinions to do match our own, and even explain a few 'truths' about our way of looking at things. We cannot then force that person to change their opinions over night. Change is often slow...but change does not always have to be accomplished through fighting. It CAN sometimes be accomplished through patience and love. We do not always need to cast our swords at every windmill that offends us. 

How does our angry reaction make us any better than the person who made the thoughtless comment or performed the thoughtless action?  Is it really our job to then humiliate that person and insist that everyone 'respect us or else'? I think not. I pray that the slighted blogger in question recognizes that her actions seem very Old Energy right now. She's not setting a great example for others, and the way she is coming across is unlikely to garner the kind of  'respect' she seems to be hoping for.
  

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes progress or even simple change on a 'community' or 'society' level requires drama. I am thankful that there is someone other than me willing to be that touchstone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Kat. Each situation needs to be weighed to decide if it is worth fighting for or not. I think that it takes thought and care to decide if a situation is worth it or not.

    To post on FB about the situation, getting everyone all wound up about it...creating more drama for everyone else...seems more like creating drama for drama sake rather than a situation where a social injustice was done and needs everyone and their brother to get involved and heated about it. If she felt like going to the principal and then superintendent about it, that should be her perrogative to do. I guess I am just not sure that everyone else needed to be dragged into it.

    I'm just saying that there's a time for action, and sometimes a time to step back and realize that stirring everyone up about 1 person's thoughtless/ignorant comment just might not be worth it.

    Are we going for educating people (gently) about a belief system, or about making drama? Couldn't the situation been handled a bit more privately, for example? Why drag everyone on FB into it.

    Tolerance, patience and a desire to live in harmony with one another needs to go both ways. I'm not sure it is very productive to get in a snit any time someone 'offends' us when they don't fully understand our way of thinking about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see your point and I think in the end it just depends on what one is being called to do. I also think there's a lot to be learned from Peter Parker's Uncle Ben with respect to the responsibility that comes with power. I'm working hard to not be as influential as the person in question until after my little one is over 18.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally don't care to advertise to the world (ie. the public school system et al) what our family preferences are, and my kids are being taught how to answer questions about our beliefs (ie. "My mommy says that personal and family beliefs are private" or, if necessary "We like to celebrate the changing seasons, along with many holidays on the calendar").

    I don't believe religion and school should be integrated. I happen to believe it is on a 'need to know' basis, and teachers or folks outside of our family do not 'need to know'. Having said that, if a family wants to announce their beliefs at school and take issue when others don't understand those beliefs, I think that opens up opportunities for folks to become offended (on both sides of the broom...I mean room *wink*)

    If someone was being picked on for their beliefs, I would hope for an apology, and would want to ensure that the person was not being targeted and/or harassed or treated differently because of their beliefs. It's a fine line to determine if someone is being purposely insulted, or if an individual simply spoke out-of-turn about something which they do not have all of the facts.

    I know it's up to each family to decide when to make a stink about a potential offense, and when to accept an apology (altho perhaps a half-hearted one) for an unintended slight due to ignorance.

    We all can learn from each other, you know? I think it says a lot about a person who can be patient with people who may not be familiar with each person's individual belief system. Why these beliefs would be discussed at school...again, that's where I have to stick by my opinion that it should not even come up....teachers shouldn't discuss their opinions about belief systems, and certainly should not argue with a child who states information about their personal belief system.

    It just shouldn't be part of a school discussion. Period. Then no one stating their opinions (albiet misinformed) and no one has to feel insulted by those opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are on at lest the same section if not the same page :) Thanks so much for taking the time for responding.

    on a side note, your blog is really enjoyable. I appreciate reading about pagan parenting. I feel like we are all breaking ground with our little people and the situations we're facing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also enjoying your comments!

    Gosh, pagan parenting is something that is hard to find online. It's also hard to find groups of people who are both pagans AND parents and who want to include their children in things. Rituals often say 'Only children over 13 may attend, or very well-behaved kids on a case-by-case basis'.

    It's hard to find rituals that actually INCLUDE kids and that give them parts to play so that they can also honor the different seasons and celebrations throughout the year. I could talk for DAYS on it.

    You've reminded me that I really should post more of the earth-based things I actually do with the kids. It's not that we don't do them, but more that I take it for granted. Also our camera is broken and so our only 'camera' is my laptop webcam, which takes less-than-desireable pics.

    I'll try to post more about the parenting and spiritual side of things in regards to kids/family. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete