Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thoughts On Thanksgiving


We all heard the tale when we were in elementary school: The Pilgrims arrived and set up a village, only they were starving that first cold winter. The natives came along and cheerfully offered the wonderful, friendly Pilgrims a hand. After their successful harvest season that year, as a gesture of gratitude, the natives were then invited along for a big feast to honor their new friendship.

I'd like to believe that things really happened that way.  What followed, however, is a sad legacy that I consider one of the many blights on American history. The immigrants to America came in ever-increasing numbers. They then pushed the natives off of their land and into tiny reservations - those that they didn't kill, of course. The immigrants broke nearly every agreement they made with the natives, often treating them poorly and subjecting them to terrible conditions.

I know, I know...you were expecting a post about how grateful I am for all of my blessings. I totally AM grateful for my blessings.  I sincerely hope you don't think that I am dwelling on this today, because I certainly am *NOT*.  In fact, today I have been truly enjoying a day with my family. We have feasted and played in the snow, we've watched the parade on tv and taken turkey-induced naps. We've sat and discussed all of the ways in which we are lucky, and voiced our gratitude for all of our blessings.

I realize that I could have spoken only to THAT part of our day.  As I looked online for a graphic to head up today's post, I couldn't help but think about the ways in which we've silenced the plight of the natives who were living here before we immigrants arrived from our various countries of origin.  We tell cheery, happy stories about friendships between natives and the immigrants. Perhaps some of those stories are even actually true.  We do not, however, give much of  a thought to how the natives were forced off of the land they occupied so that greedy and pushy immigrants could have that land for themselves.

Yes, I realize that it is a part of tribal culture to take over the land of 'weaker' civilizations. We are a tribal species, after all.  We like to think of ourselves as very civilized here in the 21st century. I wish that we (as a race) were not still forcing our way upon others. I wish we were not still trying to push 'weaker' people around for our own benefit.

We have everything we need at our fingertips...if we only used and appreciated it. We have land to grow our food upon (if only we farmed it sustainably), we have natural resources that could serve all of our needs, and we have people to do the work that needs doing.  Sure, trading with others for some unique items is nice.  It's fun to have an excuse to visit with folks in other regions.  There is no reason, however, that we could not be independent if necessary. We should not be so dependent upon others for resources that we could get right here at home - and without exploiting the loose laws of other countries (and therefore inadvertantly supporting sweat shops, slave labor, and poor working conditions).

This is a new age, and we all are slowly waking up to see the ways in which we have traveled down a wrong path for humanity. It's good to see so many people finally waking up to these things, and starting to demand that things be done differently.  As a race, we CAN live in a sustainable way on this planet...in peace with one another and with all of our needs fulfilled.  We need only continue to follow that dream to make it fully realized. When that day arrives, we'll have a great deal to be thankful for!

Happy Thanksgiving...

No comments:

Post a Comment