Click on images to enlarge
That's right, it's that time of year again! And, as in year's past, I will be touting the marvels of Reflectix! Firstly, however, I wanted to point out the adorable artwork that we created to create the illusion that the window is actually clear and looking out on a cute winter scene.
This faux "window" was made with bulletin board paper (obtained from a local school, but you could easily use construction paper or even colored printer paper...or simply a plain piece of paper that you somehow create a scene upon). We created a scene where it is snowing (made with a hole punch and white paper), and 2 children (my oldest and my son) are sledding down a hill as a snowman looks on in the distance.
Use your imagination to create a fun piece of artwork to hang upon your Reflectix!
How I winterize my windows:
So, each year I may adjust this process a bit, and some windows need more fortification from the cold than others, but this is the basic process that I use on windows that I do not plan to remove until spring. You will see, however, that I have done it this year so that it COULD be removed quickly and easily in a fire emergency ~ But we have plenty of other ways out of the house that it's not a huge worry for the windows I have done this to.
The south-facing windows only get flattened boxes (read below) in the evening, which I remove first thing in the morning so that the sun can help warm the house.
So, step 1 (this year) was: Place a thick piece (I used 4ml) of clear plastic into the bottom pane and then close and lock the plastic in with the window. (Note: I had already done up the artwork-covered window at the beginning of the post, so the following are pics of the whole process on a different window in the same room)
If your window isn't the type that opens inward like this, you may still be able to slip the plastic within it and once you pull it tightly, it should at least help slow down the flow of air through that glass.
Above is the plastic slipping behind the glass.
Then I pull the plastic tight (it has been measured and cut to be about 2 inches longer on all sides than the window) and snap the window back into the frame. I hold onto the plastic at the bottom and VERY carefully begin to close the window down upon the plastic. I then lock the window!
Usually I cut the plastic with a bit more hanging out of the bottom, but this piece was recycled from last year, and apparently it was meant for one of our irregularly-sized, slightly-shorter windows. No matter, it's enough to do the job and keep airflow at a minimum.
Now comes the layer of flattened cardboard and Reflectix.
I tape a sheet of Reflectix (that I have measured and cut to be about 3 inches bigger on all sides than the area of this box) on the back of a flattened box. We get these boxes from a friend who works for a bottling plant, but a refrigerator box would do the same (and can usually be obtained for free from appliance stores).
Notice how I only put a piece of tape on the corners. This will not only save on tape, but more tape is really not needed for this project. My box just happens to be about a half inch wider than the inside of my window, and so with the Reflectix sticking out the sides, when I push the box into the window, it makes a really nice and tight fit.
As with the plastic picture, I normally have more Reflectix sticking out of the bottom of the box, but you can kinda see it peeking out down there. Do I do anything with the Reflectix sticking out the sides? Nope. It just adds to the insulation factor along the sides of the box and helps keep air from sneaking around the edges.
Here's what it looks like with a 2nd box in the window (my windows are too tall for 1 box to fill up the whole window). This particular box has not had a layer of Reflectix put on the back yet, but I wanted to get these pics taken before the kids destroyed my house! LOL! Just imagine Reflectix sticking out the bottom of the top box, and that would be the only difference in how it looks when finished. Some people like to then duct tape along the bottom of the top box, so that air doesn't sneak out between the 2 boxes. Sometimes I do that, and sometimes I don't bother...depending on the draftiness of the window.
Because the box is a bit wider than my window, and because there's Reflectix sticking out the sides, I don't have to tape the top box to keep it up in place. The tension in the window should keep it from slipping down (yes, all winter!).
Now for the final layer.
This piece of Reflectix has been used for 5 years now. It covered smaller windows in my old apartment, and so I simply duct-taped the pieces together to create a piece big enough for my current windows and to patch a few holes in the Reflectix. Is there anything that duct tape cannot do??
I have been known to take old newspapers and crunch them up for the layer between the box and the last layer of Reflectix, but I do not plan to do that this year. I may put a "draft stop" along the window sill (a long sock or tube of fabric filled with rice or sand), however, to help keep cold air from seeping along the bottom of the window).
I tuck the Reflectix into the window and tape it at the top just to hold it in place (tacks would work along the top, too). Because it's a bit bigger than the window, when I tuck the excess INTO the window frame, it creates enough tension to help keep it in place. If you still find you have a draft in the window after all this, then your only recourse is to duct tape along all of the edges so that no air can slip around the edges of it. (I've had to do that before in old, particularly drafty apartments)
Be careful, however, because I have seen duct tape remove some paint from walls when removed in the spring. Duct tape does not seem to harm wooden window frames, in my experience.
p.s. Come warmer weather, if I remove everything carefully enough, I can put it all away to be used NEXT winter! The Reflectix I fold up usually in half or in 4ths and it stacks nicely in a corner of my shed. I stand the boxes up against a wall in the shed next to the Reflectix, and then push storage totes against all of that to keep it standing up and in place. It takes up surprisingly little room in the shed!
As I said, the way I did it this year, if there's a fire emergency, I could just quickly pull the layers out, open the window, and get us out.
Naturally, it's my duty to caution you to consider all of your fire exits, and if you do not have enough in the room and/or if you are not physically able to quickly pull the insulation out of the window frame (in 10 seconds or less), then this may not be a good idea for you to do. (I've timed myself, and I can remove the insulation in 5 seconds, which feels good enough for my personal liking)
From this point, I guess we'll need to create another fun piece of artwork to go over the Reflectix. Maybe a giant snowman? :)
Happy Winterizing, and happy Tuesday!
DISCLAIMER: This information is for educational purposes only. This blogger assumes no responsibility from the use of this information. Just be smart! This is just how *I* insulate my home. Feel free to modify or even disregard this info completely if it does not seem it will work for YOU!


No comments:
Post a Comment