Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Craft Project: Easy Paper Pilgrim Centerpieces


Happy November!  I created these cute little pilgrim figures using the Paint program (yes, I realize that I am still living in the 20th century by using Paint! LOL!).  I am also planning to create Native Americans, Pilgrim and Native American children, teepees, canoes, a banquet table (with fixin's) and a colonial-style home.  Whether that all gets done this year is another matter, so I'll take it one step at a time!

Down below you can (hopefully) click and copy each figure. Adjust the size to your liking, and then simply print on cardstock (if you like), cut out, and carefully roll the bottoms of the figures toward the back to then tape the bottom tabs together (behind them)to allow the figurines to stand up.  They are surprisingly stable (even the prototype I printed off on regular, thin printer paper stood with stability!).  If you wanted, you could simply paste these to a toilet paper roll for ULTRA stability!

My hope is to have a fun paper village depicting the era of the Thanksgiving story that we tell to children.  Please understand that I am under no illusion that things happened exactly as we have always been told, and I plan to teach my children about how the Native Americans were not always treated well in those days (let alone in later years!). 

By the way, these could easily be converted into cute napkin rings or name place holders for your Thanksgiving table!

 
To me, it is similar to the story of Santa: this is the fantasy of how we WISH things went. We all want to envision a world where two different cultures can come together in peace and help one another. We all want to envision a world where these same two cultures then will celebrate together, enjoying the harvest and the hard work everyone put in to get the food on the table.  THAT is the spirit that I choose to focus on.  It may seem like a depiction of a fictional past, but instead it is really my hope for the future.  Happy Harvest everyone!

                    

These are 2 separate pictures, so click on each one to then print or save.  ***Also, you may notice in my 1st picture at the top of the blog that I did not cut the man's head completely out (I made a diagonal cut from the rim of his hat down to the bottom of his head).  This was to give his head and hat rim a bit more strength and stability.***

p.s. I am very happy for you all to enjoy these Pilgrims. All I ask is that you do not claim the work as your own.  You may link back to this blog instead :)

2 comments:

  1. very cute!

    I just found your site from Surviving the suburbs. I'd love to touch base with you, since I think we have a lot of the same interests....gardening, homeschooling, living more simply. Do you have a way to contact you?

    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I tried to check out your profile to see if there's a way to leave you a message somewhere, but it is set to private and I can't view anything at all. Are you in Maine? I live in the greater Portland area. I'd love to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete