Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Honoring The Mother


Today was such a lovely day here in our little corner of Maine.  The kids and I got outside and just explored the edge of our property, where all sorts of little insects jump and scurry around.  My son was so cute as he described most objects as either "bug" or "flower".  I then got out my rake and raked up some of the grass from our last mow while the kids created adventures of their own in the yard.

I picked a small handful of these really adorable yellow-orange flowers that grow by the bushel along the edge of our property.
The flowers are so delicate.  The little bees were buzzing happily through the branches, while the occassional japanese beetle couple found some love on a leaf.  I carefully snipped a few branches from the bush (while thanking her for her lovely display and for letting me take some) and put them into a blue-glass mug to sit on our seasonal altar (also known as our hutch).

As I checked in on my little garden, I took a moment to drink in the heavenly scent of life.  To me, there is no better smell than the smell of your own veggies growing in the garden.  I picked a few cherry tomatoes, peas and beans and we all sat and munched on the goods right there in the yard.  I hope to be a bit more productive next year in regards to making a much larger garden.  We rent our house, and this is our first summer here, so I wasn't sure which spots would be best for a garden.  Through trial and error this year, I discovered which veggies like which spot.  Next year I'll be more prepared and plan to really make a good go of it.

Summer is finally showing her real glory right now.  We had quite a bit of rain in June and July, so I was wondering if August would give us a "summer" or not, and I am definately not dissappointed!  It is a goal of mine to get out into nature more with the kids so that we can really honor her.  I've started plotting some field trips for this year and am having fun finding places where we can both be outside more as well as learn a thing or two while in the area.

2 comments:

  1. The flowers are very pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers look like jewel weed, and it's a great medicinal herb. Principally, it's used as an antidote for poison ivy, and often, where poison ivy is growing, it can be found - but it's also good as a topical solution on all sorts of other skin irritations, such as bug bites and burns. It does grow all over the place, and it's pretty invasive ... but I'll take it, since it's got some great uses ;).

    ReplyDelete