Monday, January 11, 2016

Slowly Getting In Gear

Looking out onto the tropical island out in the bay

We're slowly settling into our new, tiny dwelling.  At the moment, my kids are sharing a bedroom (as they have done since my youngest child's birth), but we will eventually transition my DS8 into his own sleeping space when he turns 9.


We may have only packed 12 suitcases (and 4 carry-ons, along with 3-4 boxes that we shipped ahead of our move), but we certainly did not forget our most precious wooden toys.

A new addition to our wooden collection: The lovely little dollhouse in the upper left of the desk.

DD6 just loves setting up her little village on this desk. 

(sorry for the blurriness - a camera phone just isn't up to the challenge. Anyone want to send us a nice new camera?)  This castle set (along with the dragon) was one of our "must haves" when we moved, and so it was lovingly packed into one of our 12 suitcases.


Who says you can't homeschool in a small space?  When lessons are done, the materials get tucked back into a storage tote so those tables can be used for eating, drawing, and playing.

The bliss of watching children playing so lovingly with their toys!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So we started back up with lessons today, which was mostly a success. I have been feeling a little under the weather, which finally reared its ugly head about 3/4 of the way through our lesson work, so we stopped where we were for the day so I could lay down to rest. 

DS8 seemed happy to be getting back into the groove of things. He quickly got into the rhythm of the Math U See curriculum. His writing is still very slow and labored, but he did the writing without complaint, even if he took twice as long to finish it as he should have. I'm still calling it a win.

I didn't have any time to work with DD6 today due to feeling unwell, so we'll have to try it tomorrow. I've put together a lovely main lesson book (I like to use a master, which the kids then copy from...when they are older, they will be responsible for doing more creating on their own, but for now copying works well for us and is the norm for the younger grades in the Waldorf world).  I will take pics of the pages when I have a moment and post them here in this blog...hopefully tomorrow if I'm feeling better.

I did put some books out for her today, and she happily spent time gazing through them. She can always be relied upon to spend a little time peeking at books - something my son is much less apt to do. He knows that this "semester" I am incorporating some silent reading time into his schedule each week, so we'll see how that goes. 

I'm trying to coordinate getting their registration materials together to send into the state, but life keeps getting in the way. I am nearly finished with all of the paperwork, so I then just need to have it notorized (for what reason, I have no idea) and then I can send it in. I have obviously never had to do it here in this country, so it will be interesting to see if my usual attention to detail will be enough for these folks.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you all are having a nice start to your week! Hopefully I'll feel a little more human tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment