Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lazy Saturdays and Traveling


Sliding in Jammies!


We mustn't forget that monkeys like sliding, too!

I just love lazy Saturdays! My youngest, seen in the first photo, has had a bit of a cold all week. With the temps near freezing, plus cold and biting winds, I wasn't eager to let her go outside to play this morning. Instead, I brought a bit of the outside in!  

None of us have gotten out of our jammies yet, as we enjoy a quiet morning with nothing on our agenda. It's been so incredibly busy lately, I believe mornings like this are truly good for the soul! It's great to recharge our batteries. My plan for today is to spend some time in my bedroom. If I haven't mentioned this before in previous posts, I'll let you in on a little secret: our master bedroom is the most cluttered room in the home.

I know, I know. It is said that the bedroom should be your sanctuary from the clutter and craziness of life. 
It just so happens, however, that our bedroom is also the biggest room in the house.  When we moved in, we put boxes of items in there that we either didn't know what to do with, or that we didn't have time and/or inclination to sort through at that moment. Once we settled into our new home, we've had SO many things on our plates that there is rarely enough time to deal with those boxes. As a result, one corner of our master bedroom is completely taken over by boxes, bags and piles of items that need sorting through.

It seems hard to fathom, but there is only a limited number of months before we begin our international travel adventure. Due to this, I am more anxious to sort through those boxes than ever! 

My plan is to whittle our possessions down to a size that will fit inside a small shipping container...preferably with room to spare.  I do not want to have to store anything while we are gone, besides an old dressing table that I want my oldest to have (her father has graciously offered to store it). I want to simplify our lives...not just for traveling, but also to make life (in general) more enjoyable with less "stuff".

What is tough is that there are many things I really would like to bring with us. The main items I'd like to keep are: a good handful of books, a few boxes of children's toys (homemade wooden toys along with some stuffed animals, dolls, play silks, etc), some pots and pans (I have a favorite enameled cast-iron pot, several cast-iron pans, plus some nice bamboo utensils), a few boxes of holiday decorations (there are some family heirlooms I'd really not want to part with), blankets, quilts and pillows (I'm fairly picky about my pillow!), and of course clothing, shoes/boots/sandals, toiletries, CHALK BOARDS (!!!), and a box of memorabilia items.

I realize that these are not all necessities. I will, of course, prioritize the items that I consider to be "necessary", and then see what room there is for the other items. Clearly, if we were in a rushed situation where we only had to grab what we could in a hurry, that would mean a different priority list.  I'm trying to find a balance between bringing needed items with bringing some that may be considered more "luxury" items.

We will be leaving our furniture behind (so it's a good thing much of our furniture is either very old/run-down or were thrift shop cheapies).We'll be aiming to stay in furnished homes, so that shouldn't be an issue. We can always buy a few futon mattresses if needed, but replacing a beloved Mr. and Mrs. Santa set would be much more difficult.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days like today, where we feel free to take our time getting up and motivated, feel like the deep breath before the calm (if you will). Before we know it, we will be boarding planes, sticking our possessions onto a boat, and taking off for whatever adventures the world has for us.

Our plans have met with different reactions from those around us. There are some who are genuinely thrilled and excited about the idea of world travel. There are others who have already begun distancing themselves with the mistaken theory that it means we're disappearing off the face of the earth. I do understand the fear of looking outside of one's comfort zone to consider living abroad far away from family and friends. For *US*, however, part of it will be living CLOSER to some family and friends. Also, in today's technological world, a visit with friends can be done with a Skype visit.  I realize that you lose that face-to-face experience, but certainly you can still connect with loved ones in a meaningful way.

I suppose the zen way of looking at this change in our relationships with those we are leaving behind is to not have any attachment to their reactions nor to the outcome of things. Naturally, our intentions are to keep in touch with  our friends and family here.  Hopefully over time they will realize that we still care about them, even if we do so from thousands of miles away.

We are following our hearts, and if you choose to consider it, we feel we are following our soul's callings. We feel a pull to travel, to see the world and visit with those we care about across the world. Trust me, it was a bit of a scary idea when we first began discussing it! I was afraid to leave my home, but when I examined that fear, I realized it was because I worried that my sense of security would be shaken not to be where I was familiar with the surroundings and people. 

I realized that what makes me feel "secure" is not really tied to this specific locale or these specific people. What helps me feel secure is my sense of belonging in the world, my connection with my children, my dedication to my husband, and the knowledge that no matter where I go, I bring myself with me.

No matter where I go, I have myself! This has given me more of a sense of calm and joy, as well as made the idea of traveling the world an excitement rather than a fear.
















No comments:

Post a Comment