Apple picking time is one of my favorite times of the year!
There is so much going on right now, it's as though when I sit down to blog lately, I feel like I couldn't possibly squeeze everything into one entry, and so things get left out for the sake of not babbling on for pages and pages. I like to try not to go off on a tangent about personal thoughts on things that happen, and then of course I do it anyway. I find this therapeutic for myself, and I always carry the hope that maybe one day someone will be going through similar situations and might glean some inspiration or comfort from knowing they are not alone.
Do you ever notice that when the tree branches,the new branch is the path that often leads to fruit? So it has been with my life on many occasions. I often find myself at a crossroads of sorts, or at a spot where I see choices on my path that could lead me in different directions. Sometimes the choices are very similar with only a few minor differences, and other times the choices are completely different. I love that I have had these opportunities in my life to consciously co-create my journey. As I have been growing in life and becoming, these chances help me to see how my choices create more chances for growth.
This past year (and really, to be honest it has been a couple of years now) has seen a real acceleration in the appearances of branches along my path. I find myself veering away more and more from what I always understood as my life, my comfort zone, and toward a life that is not at all what I expected. These revelations have been a great source of delight, even if there are sometimes 'growing pains' attached to the mourning of veering away from a life (and typically the people associated with it)
that used to serve me.
Once these growing pains begin to subside, I'm always able to look at my new path with a new set of eyes. I have been discovering that my new path is showing me a way to more fruit!
Now, I want to say I appreciate you following along so far in what has likely seemed like a somewhat cryptic and metaphoric journey to what you're likely hoping is a point!
I guess I just wanted to use this forum as an opportunity to express how grateful I am to be discovering this path that feels so very perfect for my soul. I had run into a few groups and situations where I would try to fit in, and on the surface may have seemed to do so successfully, however I noticed that I simply did not feel as though things were clicking for me entirely. There was often something missing, or I simply had that nagging feeling that
there was *MORE* I was supposed to be learning and doing for the children.
This led me to explore a connection with some like-minded Waldorf moms.
WOW, was I in for a treat!!!
I 'accidently' ran into one such mom at the playground (I don't really believe in coincidences, and instead favor the idea that everything happens in its own perfect way). She then connected me with two other Waldorf moms in New Hampshire, and then from there two more in our local area.
I have been totally blown away by the support of these moms - all of whom are Waldorf-friendly moms, and all of whom have a child on the autism spectrum.
My research is showing that the Waldorf approach is very healing to children with autism.
Its gentle approach soothes the child, the repetitious nature of the recitations, body movements, songs, stories, bean bag activities and other activities help a child with autism to rehearse both orally and physically to enhance skills they are working with. It also helps them to feel more fully in their bodies, and more in control of their bodies. The artistic and musical piece of the curriculum often helps autistic children make connections to what is being presented and to express themselves. Since autistic children often have difficulties with communication and expression, this can be incredibly healing for them and can truly make for some profound progress in their recovery (I use the term 'recovery', because that is the term used by some in Waldorf circles to express a belief that there can be a recovery from autism, and certainly great successes have been documented).
The children on the back deck, playing 'slide bowling' together. I just love how homeschooling has helped contribute to the deep bonding my children have been enjoying with one another!
And so, from another 'branching off' from a path that I thought was the right one, came another direction that has helped me to dive even more fully into the Waldorf world. I admit that I am still just learning, and I suspect will continue to grow with it for some years to come (are we ever 'finished' learning?? I would say no!).
I have at long last found an organically-created group of people who have like minds. We all support one another in our desires to change our lives with the introduction and implementation of Waldorf principals. Each of us is in a different 'place', and we all honor that each of us has our own thoughts on how much of the Waldorf principals fit into our lives at any given moment. We honor that we are all individuals, and feel no need to compare our lives with each other. We appreciate that our journeys are unique, and that what we have all been looking for (a true support group) is not only possible, but is so very nourishing when you find one.
We are happy with our small numbers for now, but we are also open for other families to join along. We're happy to allow serendipity to lead the appropriate families to our group. We have no need to grow numbers, but simply to be a support for one another, as well as to whomever may wander along our paths as time rolls along.
This is true freedom. This is true friendship. There are no discriminations. There is no excluding people because of a clique. There is no cruel behaviors and judgements. There is simply love.
Finally

No comments:
Post a Comment