Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Discovering Chalk and Waldorf Fun

While studying (mostly online) about Waldorf educational ideas and principals, the beautiful chalkboard drawings available online inspired me to try my hand at it. Once I got chalk in hand, I have to admit I was smitten. I am really enjoying the creation of these fun chalkboard pictures. I now have 3 separate small chalkboards that I am using because...well, can you have enough of these up at once?!


This picture was inspired by a book entitled Maine, The Way (Wild) Life Should Be, a collection of Maine-themed stories and poems.  This particular picture is about a poem about peepers sung to the tune of Frere Jaques. 

This one was a little dicey, because I simply could not sort out how to make the net over the top of the lion. I settled on having it hanging overhead, but I'm still not thrilled with the net. I am, however, very pleased with how the lion and mouse came out!

Here is my pic next to that on the cover of the book.


This is a picture of a dragon (of course!) that is now up on my wall in anticipation of Michaelmas, which is often celebrated in Waldorf schools.  I am planning to read a story to the kids to go along with this picture. Below is a link to the story:

As you can see, I am really getting into chalkboard drawing!

We have been slowly incorporating more Waldorf ideas into our homeschooling, including have a morning greeting with songs, movement and stories that include fairy tales and legends/fables.  I even got a sketch book to use as what those in Waldorf circles call a "main lesson book", although I do not anticipate it being our main source of notation. I will still have worksheets and online games/learning to go along with the Waldorf activities. As mentioned in other posts, we'll also have our homeschool co-op, specials with a local school district, and scouts.

Thankfully, I now have to amend my earlier comment in a recent post saying that free information online is few and far between.  I actually have found a lot of free information on pinterest!  Simply go to pinterest and type in what you are looking for (such as "Waldorf First Grade" or "Waldorf Chalkboard")...and, Voila!

Thanks for hanging out on this fun journey with us, those few who do.  I've always said that this blog is mostly for myself, but I have not-so-secret hopes that one day it will be helpful or interesting to someone.  I do enjoy the ability to go back in time and read how my own thoughts and feelings have evolved over time. I have to say that I am a much more peace-ful person than I was when I started this blog. I have learned so much about myself, my husband and children, and just life and people in general. Thanks for that, Blogger. 


No comments:

Post a Comment