Friday, July 12, 2013

Homeschool Planning for 2013 - 2014

Math Games 

Well, it's that time of year again.  Not only will I need to be organizing the end-of-the-year portfolio, but I will also need to begin planning for the fall. "But you've been doing homeschooling this summer too, right?"  Yes, we have been doing an interdisciplinary unit study on Ancient Egypt. It's been at a very relaxed pace just to keep our juices flowing and to get in more history since it doesn't seem to make a grand appearance the rest of the year. I'm planning to recitify that this year. I'm planning my year with more intentionality while still allowing for some free flow. It's a balance I enjoy, which allows for some child-led learning coupled with what I feel are foundational learning skills.

This blog entry will be a bit of "Homeschool Housekeeping", so don't say I didn't warn you ahead of time (translation: it could feel a bit dry. This is mostly for my own benefit...sorta thinking aloud...but also so others can get an idea how I am doing homeschooling in case they want some ideas for their own family).

Our son is six, but we don't like to label him as being in a certain grade. He is reading at around the 2nd - 3rd grade level, his math is at least 2nd grade level, but his handwriting is still lagging behind.  We've introduced some history, which is something rarely touched upon until grade 2. He has some gross motor skills that need honing, but his abilities to think outside the box is decidedly beyond most of his same-age peers.  Science will play a bigger role this year, as will fine arts (he'll be learning some keyboarding and drumming skills).

I have several approaches I'm planning to use this year, but the main point is that we are going to be delving into a sort of Waldorf educational model. This is a pretty new concept for us, so I'm going to be starting slowly. There are materials to get and a complete revamping of our lives to consider - no big deal, right? lol

I don't mean for it to sound as daunting as all of that, but really along with a different educational approach is the idea that really our lives should mirror the principals that the Waldorf approach suggests. This is not just because a book or website has said 'this is the way you should live', but rather while I am reading more and more about the principals of Waldorf Education, I realize that it really is an entirely different way of thinking about life as a whole, and then education as an individual component. Our lives have been itching for such an overhaul, and I have tried to make small steps over the years to that end. I guess I am finally feeling as though we're ready to make some BIG changes.

Our entire environment in our home could use a facelift, to be honest with you. I've been on a quest to lessen the amount of plastic in our home, and that quest will continue. I'll be searching for more natural and open-ended toys, games and learning materials. I'll be adding more dietary changes into our lives, moving more towards organic and healthy foods and away from so many prepared foods. 

My approach to parenting could also use some more evolving. Gentle parenting is something I had heard about years ago, but it hadn't really fully clicked with me back then that it was something I could actually pull off, to be honest. I get frustrated at times, and so the word 'gentle' is harder to maintain in those moments. What I am discovering is that it is OK to be frustrated at times, but that the way I approach parenting could be more gentle, patient, and child directed.  That's not to say I won't set boundaries for my children, because I still feel strongly that some boundaries are healthy and helpful. I am simply saying that I want to be more gentle in general, and place a higher emphasis on play and outside activities in our lives.


OK, so having said all that, I want to go over how I'm planning to organize the school year.

1.  I am breaking down the year by both month or a 3-4-week period. By this I mean that I like to have monthly themes with some sub-themes either openly discussed or just kinda kept in mind. These themes are used in a multidisciplinary way whenever possible (ie. if the theme is reptiles, then I'd try to tie that into each subject frequently) and themes that last about 3-4 weeks.

2.  I do a combination of notebook/scrapbook/main lesson book, online tracking/planning/digital recording, maybe a lapbook or two, art projects, and other 3-D displays of learning.   I like to mix and match these methods, so for now I will keep them in the repertoire.  

3. A greater emphasis on play is going to be a focus, both inside and outside play. Each day should include plenty of both, to nourish the imaginations as well as an appreciation for nature and being outside.

4. We use "real books" as well as online books, video stories, audiobooks and mom-alouds (where I read stories to the kids).  I loosely base my reading plans on the Daily 5, except it's more like a Weekly 5 for us.  I'm going to start some spelling this year, but I haven't quiet decided yet how I want to do that. We have an ipad app for spelling lists, so I may use that in combination with an online suggested spelling list for first grade I found somewhere. Sorry, I am not sure about the link in this moment, but a google search would provide many suggested weekly spelling lists for the first grade level I'm sure.

5. I'm planning to do a more structured art appreciation theme to our fine arts time.  I'm planning to take six or so artists and do a craft using the style of that artist.  When I get that curriculum done, I'm planning to post it on this blog so stay tuned!

6.  Physical Education and Health: my son participates in sports nearly every season, as well as has a separate group he gets together with for physical education, so that is covered easily. For health, we'll do the usual themes of dental care, personal hygiene, and the main food groups.  We'll also discuss stranger danger in more detail this year as well as how to call 911 and what to do in an emergency. We'll have at least 3 fire drills (1 announced and 2 unannounced) as well.

7.  History: We've been having fun with Ancient Egypt this summer, and when it is through we will move onto Ancient Rome. I'll use a combination of real books, videos and online stories, online games, craft projects and recipes and possibly a museum trip depending on how the schedule ends up.  We'll also be starting to learn Latin, so a foundation and understanding of Ancient Rome will help pull this together and put the language a bit more into perspective.

8.  Science will include the ocean, water cycle, animals, and seasons. I haven't decided on the other 2 themes for science yet, so stay tuned.  We'll do experiments (kitchen chemistry), track the weather, and visit the Gray Animal farm...among other ideas.

9. Story time and circle time will probably play the biggest role in our new curriculum.  The Waldorf Education model puts it as the most important way to start the day. A morning verse, some movement and songs draw everyone together and help kids get into their bodies and learn to use them. Stories will include fairy tales, fables and legends as well as the other books we get from the library each week. I will also be 'acting out' stories using small props, which can help bring stories alive for the children. I'm really excited about this idea, and consider it one of the most exciting parts of Waldorf Education for primary school kids.

I am going to end this for now, having gotten some of my thoughts out here "on paper" for now. With this loose beginning, I can start getting things together in a bit more of an organized way.

As always, each day will have plenty of opportunities for individual interests to be pursued along with downtime to just daydream and imagine.





No comments:

Post a Comment