As I've noted before, our son is a good reader. While trying to find a book that will still interest a 5 year old, and yet is a bit more advanced than your average picture book, I remembered about Flat Stanley.
What's great about Flat Stanley is that there is a Flat Stanley Project, which many local communities get involved with (not ours at the kindergarten level, unfortunately...and I haven't heard about other classes at our local k-5 school doing it). Anyway, so I introduced this series to our son, who loves it already! I read a page and then he reads a page. It's a fun way to get through a book that's a bit longer than he's used to. He's excited about each new chapter, and is starting to get a feel for what chapterbooks are like. We've read some chapterbooks before, but this is the first one he has read for himself (normally I read them aloud to him).
The Flat Stanley Project, which comes in many different forms, basically has kids sending their own version of a Flat Stanley (they color, cut out and create him). They email him to various locations, usually with an attached letter, and that person then sends him along. Some versions of this project have the person receiving Flat Stanley write a short letter about what life is like where they live, maybe include some pictures, etc. and then mail him back with all the attached info.
We probably will not engage in that in this moment, but it is an idea I am holding
in reserve for next year.
In other news:
The stomach bug has hit our home, so we're not attending homeschool co-op classes today. The homeschool co-op community has been emailing everyone about this virus, and asking families with even 1 child sick to keep them all at home to try to keep the rest of the community healthy. I really appreciate this effort, but of course it means another week without co-op classes.
I had forgotten how wonderful it is to children to have peace and quiet. I guess our son is a lot like my husband and I in that respect. We value quiet and limit over-stimulation from activities each week. When I told our son we weren't going today, his response was "Yay!". It's not as though he doesn't enjoy it when he goes, but..... everyone needs some down time every now and then.
He does enjoy his guitar class, which would likely be one of the 2 classes we would sign him up for next year assuming they offer it again. I'd also like to add in the recorder for him, as it is a traditional 1st grade curriculum item and I know he'll really enjoy it.

No comments:
Post a Comment