Used by permission of the author's own proclamation...so long as she is credited
Winter Nights is a time of year on the old Norse calendar that coincides with what we might now call Samhain/Halloween. It is an honoring of our female ancestors, called the Disir. The above rendering of Morrigan is a really beautiful rendition of a beautiful female figure. Of course, your own female ancestors would be pictured as they really were, or as you envision they might have looked.
Here's a nice video that explains Winter Nights...
I just LOVE the idea of honoring our female ancestors!!! I have not done any work with Freya yet, and so I am planning to explore her a bit more as we get to October.
Children might enjoy the idea of being able to honor female figures from their past, such as a beloved grandmother or great-grandmother who has passed. It could be a great opportunity to sort of 'introduce' children to their female ancestors, especially if they never got the chance to meet these ancestors in their lifetime.
I think it would be a great idea to bring out pictures and have other family members jot down some ideas and/or stories of some female ancestors. These stories could be put in writing to keep for future generations to honor at Winter Nights.
In the above video, the narrator reads a great story to honor Freya and your Disir. I think you'll really enjoy it!

Such a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration, what a great way to involve family members and help our children to learn about these wonderful women they never knew...
ReplyDeleteThanks Angie! I have some wonderful matriarch from my family that I will be sure to 'introduce' to my kids this year!
ReplyDelete