Monday, December 20, 2010
Yule and Lunar Eclipse
This year, Yule has the added blessing of a lunar eclipse. This is something that has not happened in 274 years, as I am told, and so this is pretty exciting!
The Longest Night is one that used to be feared by ancient peoples. They created elaborate ceremonies in order to call the sun back, and there was sometimes wailing and gnashing of teeth as people tried to blame innocent victims for the shortening days. Invariably, the sun would slowly return...higher and higher into the sky it would climb. The hope of the Longest Night turns into the joy of the holiday season. Intuitively, people all over the world celebrate this time of year, knowing that the renewal of the sun's presence in the sky brings with it a new energy.
Just as Samhain is the 'New Year' for pagans, Yule also brings with it the feeling of 'newness'. I want to take some time over the next few weeks to fully determine what I want my new beginnings to look like. As the sun slowly starts to shine its light more brightly upon me each day, what things do I want to be illuminated this year? There are definately aspects within me that need to be taken out of the shadows and worked on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment