Our Next Audiobook For The Car
I know that my last post said that we weren't planning to start our Native American block for my grade 3 kiddo for another several weeks, but upon reflection, we decided that since the last book was more suited for our son's current block, that we'd like to balance it out with a book for our daughter (and our son will surely love this story as well).
This audiobook is a good 5.5 hours in length, so if we start it next week, it will probably take us about 6 weeks to finish the book. That brings us pretty close to November 1st (if not actually into November, depending on a variety of factors, such as whether we miss a week of co-op or not in that time).
I am planning to have DD9 re-create a few of these gorgeous illustrations as we go along as well. Might as well begin our block slowly, since we'll already be immersing ourselves into the culture by listening to this beautiful story.
I have found several great pins on pinterest for this book. I am not sure how ready DD9 is for doing character analysis of books, nor do Waldorf sources seem to suggest that she should be going too deeply with the literary elements of the story at her age.
I think that we will find a good balance to strike. I may ask a few questions about each of the characters. Perhaps we will come up with a sentence or two to describe each character...but, again, I am not sure if her language development (thanks to her speech/language delay and asd diagnosis) will allow for too much depth in this area. I'll introduce the idea of character analysis, and take my cues from her as to how ready she is to go any deeper than that.
One thing that I have found to be so crucial to our continued happiness and Good Flow to our homeschooling is an ability to be flexible. Sometimes the best laid plans are quickly altered, but thankfully we build enough space and flexibility into our plan to allow for blocks and activities to be shuffled around as needed.



No comments:
Post a Comment