Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Nobody's Perfect



Our Vikings Unit (tm) is really coming along nicely, if a bit slowly.  We've been taking our time, doing a little at a time each week as our schedule has been super busy.  I have also decided to sprinkle in lots of geography activities, which has taken up a decent amount of our time since it is not DS9's best subject.  I really want to be sure he understands the area of the world that the Vikings came from and then settled in (or raided).

The above chalkboard drawing of the map of the Viking world is my attempt to reproduce this one:

(I found this map on pinterest)

As you can see, my chalkboard drawing isn't exactly "to scale". You know what? I think that's totally OK.  The printable map that DS9 will be coloring in and labeling *will* be much more "to scale", as are the online map quiz games that he has been playing.

I hear from people that they don't want to try chalkboard drawing because they are "not artistic". I'm not artistic either!!  Personally, I think what matters the most is the attempt. When I really take my time (even if it means erasing work and starting over again!), I believe that it shows in the finished product. My chalkboards are far from perfect, but the atmosphere that they help produce is one of caring and learning.

When DS9 comes over to the dining table (where we do most of our seat work), he looks at my creations and knows that I spent time and energy working on them. He feels more inspired to be a bit more creative in his own drawings, since he realizes that it's OK not to be perfect. These drawings always get us both in the mood for learning, and because they are of the unit we are currently working on, they help set the tone.

There is a lot to be said for the tone that you set in your home.  If you show your kids that you want to add color, whimsy and creativity into learning, they will have lighter hearts and more interest in learning.  They will recognize that learning is more than just opening up a book....it is about having an adventure. They realize that learning doesn't need to be some dry, boring activity.

Be gentle with yourself this week in your homeschool. Go with what feels good, adds whimsy and creativity, and inspires an openness and fun to learning.
Your heart and your children's hearts will benefit!


No comments:

Post a Comment